Just bought a VC Vigilant stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aj66

Mar 9, 2009
NJ
I just bought a wood burning stove that the person I bought from said was from 5-10 years old. It says "Vigilant" on the side with "vermont castings parlor stove" on the side as well. Everything looks good with it, but I have a couple of questions:
- How do I know how old it is?
-How do I get an owners manual for this stove?
-Is there an adapter to change the flue from 8 inch to 6inch and if so is this feasible/safe.
-The handle is broke on the door, can I purchase new handles?
-Also how do you know if it's a coal/wood stove or just a wood stove?

This site is great and everybody seems very smart. Any help you can give me is appreciated. Thanks.

The last Vigilant rolled off the line in the mid 80's. You can get a copy of the owners manual from Vermont castings website. Use this link http://www.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/files/Defiant_Vig_Res_Intre_Pre88-0226.pdf

On the older Vigilant, it can only be used with an 8" flue. You can purchase through Vermont Castings dealers, an oval to round pipe adapter designed for that purpose but in this case, you should never reduce to a 6"

If your handle is an ivory ceramic design, you can still purchase those components through a VC dealer, I believe. If it is an all nickel plated handle, like a teardrop design, they are no longer available unless you can search for one on ebay. They can be replaced with the ceramic style.

If it is wood/coal combo or multi fuel as they were once called, it would have movable grates and an ashpan.

Hope this helps.

Mikeh.

Thanks for the replies. I took off the back heat shield it is from 1980. It is a coal/wood stove in good condition. The only question I have is what are the smaller grates for on the inside? They are currently loose, but look like they fit in on the sides? I don't see anything in the owner's manual about them. Also, I currently bought a house that has a 6' flue attached to a brick chimney, the previous owners took the VC stove with them and left a 6' hole . Am I naive enough to think I can just widen the hole from 6'' to 8'' to fit in the flue or is it more complicated? Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Can you post a photo of the inside of your stove? There are two different designs for the coal and I would be able to answer your questions better if I saw which one you had. The owners manual that I sent you the link for was just for the woodstove. If you go to their main site, www.vermontcastings.com, you would be able to search through hundreds of manuals. If you have a masonry chimney that has a 6" thimble, it would take a bit of work from the mason but you could change it out to an 8" thimble but check with the mason first. I don't know if it would have any issues if you just use 8" pipe from the stove to the thimble and then put a reducer from 8-6. Most likely the chimney is an 8"+. I wouldn't want to make that call as the Vigilant has always been an 8". You may have some backpuffing issues if you reduce. Photos??
Mikeh

I was able to download the scematic for the coal add on for the stove and the smaller grates are the side left and right. My guess is they sit horizontal in the front and back grates. I don't think the stove has been used in years. Everything looks in working order, I'm closing on a cabin in two weeks, so we shall see. I ordered new knobs for the damper and door, and I'm going to paint it. I'm still wondering about the reducer into the chimney. I think I'm going to hire somebody for that job. I tried to post a pic, but it was too big. I'll try to shrink it and post it. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.