1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Just Bought an 800 Watt Harbor Freight Generator

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by velvetfoot, Dec 24, 2010.

1. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Sounds like good timing to me.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    awesome! the purschase justified its self!

I will reiterate my previous comment that for me: as soon as power goes out, if it is raining, I am starting up the generator.

My sump has been dry for the last 3 years, since I moved a downspout. But durring hte hurricane power went out, and the sump was dry, I didnt fire up the generator as it was almost bed time, within 30 min the sump went from bone dry to old faithful, by the time water alarm went off and i got the generator was running I had an inch of water in the basement.

rain - power = generator running

Its cheap protection
  3. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    agreed. My pit is often wet, seldom needs to be pumped. I think I pumped the pit maybe a dozen times in 6 hours, burning all my gas on idle--but I wanted it idling in case things got more intense.

I have a battery back up sump system, but I haven't installed it yet. Now I am more motivated--what if I wasn't home? the battery system would've handled this no sweat.
  4. EJL923

EJL923 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Mass
    Well i bought one, and it came in already. Ran it for the first time last night and it surged for a while, but smoothed out after 5 minutes or so. I had a 150w halogen hooked up and the light was dimming up and down during that, but was ok after it smoothed out. Hooked it up to the insert blowers, and they ran decent, but not perfect. The speed wasn't as fast as on grid power when turned all the way up, but not bad enough where i thought i was hurting the blowers. They ran better than when i was running them off a modified sine inverter during the 6 day outage. All in all, for $100 bucks it does what i want, gives me heat during an outage. I changed the plug before starting a to a n11YC champion, so i cant tell you how it would have run with the stock bonon f5tc. My next test is the mini fridge.
  5. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    My motors ran smoother the other day. Maybe it's a break-in thing.
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I left the stock plug in mine and it runs great.
  7. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    Supposedly they really smooth out by the 20 hour break in.... check the voltage if the blowers dont sound right. If it is low you *can* crank it up.... what you *can* do isnt always what you *should* do.
  8. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    You change the rpm with that adjustment, along with voltage as well as frequency.