Just bought house, fireplace issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buster

Hearth Supporter
Jul 1, 2010
Los Angeles
Hi everyone. We are moving into our new home this weekend, and are now getting around to thinking about how to repair things that came up on the fireplace inspection. The original inspector wrote this on his report regarding the fireplace, which has a stainless steel liner:

"The second section of the inner flue pipe is damaged; the vertical seam has split and pulled damaging that section of pipe. The flue would have to be disassembled and a new part installed. In addition, there is a section of outer flue pipe which is not engaged exposing the locking tabs."

The sellers brought in another inspector, who said the liner was fine. We all compromised and brought in a 3rd guy, who suggested sealing the gaps between the metal liners with a high heat silicone sealant.

At this point, I'm thoroughly confused, and don't know what to do about this! Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Greetings and welcome. Not sure the answer here. A picture or two would help. Is this a zero-clearance fireplace?

Thanks for the welcome! I'll try to see if I can get some pictures up when I get home. What is a zero clearance fireplace (sorry, I'm a complete newbie)?

It's a non-masonry, prefab fireplace with a metal chimney.

It sounds like a metal fireplace with a metal chimney - a so-called factory built or zero clearance fireplace.

The bad news may be this - it is often difficult and expensive to find matching pipe....and install it. It must be the same exact brand and pipe...no substitutions!

These fireplaces have a design life of 20-30 years...my guess is that the house might be that old or older. In short, millions of these will need to be replaced in the next decade - maybe yours!

The good news is that you can get a new one fairly inexpensively...another choice is to install a gas direct vent unit (you still have to rip out that firebox, but can leave the old pipe) which gets vented directly to the outside...not up the existing pipe.

Thanks - that's definitely what we have. The fireplace is actually only 7 years old. Part of the problem is that it is a Temco fireplace, and Temco is out of business. Is it possible to replace the entire pipe (of a different brand) w/o replacing the firebox? The problem is with the inner pipe, not the outer pipe, and the 2nd inspector said that there was no need to fix the inner pipe because the other is ok in that spot. How does the sealant fix that the 3rd inspector proposed sound?

Thanks again - I'm learning an awful lot about fireplaces!

Temco was bought by Majestic Fireplaces. It is very possible that Majestic is producing that same pipe....you have to find a dealer who knows their stuff......

Also, it is quite possible that a dealer somewhere has pipe laying around.

I think most Temco pipe is 8" ID ....I forget the outside measurement.

Sealant won't be high enough temp I don't think. Would you risk it?

Are you going to use the fireplace?

Thanks. We are planning on using the fireplace. I think I'm confused because only 1 of the 3 inspectors said to replace the pipe. I'm not sure who to believe. I'll see if someone can find the section of pipe, but I'm not holding out hope. Inspector #1 (who as the only one to note the problem and recommend replacement) said we're not likely to have any chance of finding the exact pipe needed. I'm not sure I want to go to the expense of replacing the entire firebox in order to replace the pipe - we were quoted $8-10K minimum to do that. Ugh.

Without knowing more about the actual issue and fireplace condition, it is hard to say, but perhaps a small insert can be installed with a new liner? That might be worth checking into.

Tell them to replace the pipe or take 2 grand off the price of the house. For all you know you won't be able to fix it later, and will end up replacing the unit. Sellers always want to put you into "the mood" with all the possibilities, but after 5 houses and a dozen gut-job remodels I'm sick of being in "the mood".

Status
Not open for further replies.