Just bought it!!! Updated 04-08-2008 with pics at bottom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
Ok, well after finally "figuring out" the curring with the Summit, I figured I would sell the Quad 5100 and move the beast Summit to heat the upstairs bedrooms, living room, and 2 downstairs bedrooms plus kitchen. Now I just bought the Avalon Olympic with brass door, pedestal, ash pan, and blower for a steal. This is a savings from one store of 800 dollars, What the Hell......And another store of 450 dollars..... :bug: Man what a difference, that is a hell of a lot of wood that I will be getting for the savings!

This guy is a very good dealer, recommended by a couple of my buddies for good service and he is actually going to meet me more than half way to give me the stove since he is over 2 hours away from my HQ....

Do I really need 2 stoves this big in my house probably not, but man it will be nice to shut off the gas this coming Fall and let the 2 beauties heat my entire house. Should have done it with the Quad 5100 but it just didn't work out this year, not enough seasoned wood for both stoves. So I at least had 2 going when it was freezing cold.

The Avalon will heat the Florida room, breeze way and part of living room no problem. I am sure I could go to the Rainer from Avalon to heat these rooms but the frustration of the smaller firebox, 1.8 cu ft., would not suit me. I love the fact I can load both up and I am good for 7 or 8 hours easy, more with the Summit of course

I bought 2 offsets from Selkirk since the clearance needed is a little more with the Olympic than the Summit and the Olympic is a little wider stove (No risks in my house). Plus it will be a nice match with my double wall Selkirk already there.

Well this is my third new stove in 2 years, 1st the Avalon Olympic sold that for the Summit. Being happy with that and ditching the Quad, and Viola this Friday I will have the Avalon Olympic doing it's first small burn. :lol:

I better cherish these 2 stoves as my wife will probably divorce me if she has to hear about me buying another one anytime soon

Stay tuned for pics this weekend

Congrats! You guys are too funny. If you won the lottery you would probably all have these big collections of woodstoves, just like some people have classic car collections!

Congrats JFK. It will great to heat the A/B stove comparisons next season. Enjoy the warmth.

Thanks BeGreen, I just got in the mail today 2 45 degree offsets so my setup will look pretty sweet, it is going to be a tight fit to the ceiling with my adjustable double wall but I will work something out

tickbitty said:
Congrats! You guys are too funny. If you won the lottery you would probably all have these big collections of woodstoves, just like some people have classic car collections!

Does 10 qualify as a collection? (not all running of course)

Totally. I would say, three or more in a household is a collection. Working or not.
Hey, you even have "classic" in your signature! (what ARE they?!)

You're definitely certifiable! :)

Update #1
Just picked up the stove today and I was very excited, I even treated myself to new Simpsons Dura Vent 45 degree offsets and a sweet 29-48 inch adjustable pipe!
This made the install a breeze and I figured I owe my brother in law a lot through the years and I decided to give him my Selkir pipes.

:) It is curring right now and man do I love this stove

I have to find my digital camera so once I do, look for some pics of this beauty

"Summit stove with gold door, pedestal, and blower 2300 dollars,
Olympic stove with gold door, pedestal, ash pan, and blower 2500 dollars,
Having both of them in home...... priceless"
:lol:

JFK said:
Update #1
Just picked up the stove today and I was very excited, I even treated myself to new Simpsons Dura Vent 45 degree offsets and a sweet 29-48 inch adjustable pipe!
This made the install a breeze and I figured I owe my brother in law a lot through the years and I decided to give him my Selkir pipes.

:) It is curring right now and man do I love this stove

I have to find my digital camera so once I do, look for some pics of this beauty

"Summit stove with gold door, pedestal, and blower 2300 dollars,
Olympic stove with gold door, pedestal, ash pan, and blower 2500 dollars,
Having both of them in home...... priceless"
:lol:

your sick, you realize that dont you

It IS sick when you consider a piece of metal as a "treat"! But admitting it is the first step towards treatment. I prescribe 1 (one) cord of commercially purchased hardwood socked away 'till next year and then combusted without guilt in your Olympic while listening to your furnace/boiler not running! Repeat as needed, or until Spring arrives.

Chris

Woohoo JFK! It's nice to have Christmas all over again in springtime. Now let's have some pics of that beauty!

Congratulations on your new acquasition JFK. Always fun to try a new stove every once in a while. I know over
the years we have had quite a few with a couple of them saved for I don't know what? <grin>

Better get that cured soon and a nice fix for the summer or you will be adding to your air conditioning bill!

OK guys, here they are

Attachments

• 0408081031.jpg
    0408081031.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 629
  • 0408081032.jpg
    0408081032.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 617
  • 0408081032a.jpg
    0408081032a.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 619
  • 0408081033.jpg
    0408081033.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 630
Nice looking JFK! It must feel like the tropics in the house with the 2 big stoves running.

OMG you guys are killing me i want another stove now!!!!!!! yes honey i wll be right there ......

Nice looking Olympic. What was wrong with the Quad?

BeGreen said:
Nice looking JFK! It must feel like the tropics in the house with the 2 big stoves running.

You betcha! The 2 beasts will give plenty of heat this coming Fall
Had my Florida room with windows open, curring the stove and temp in the room was 85F. Got the beauty up to 650F today. Maybe tomorrow I will go for 700-750F for a couple of hours, that should cure it for a while cool grin With seasoned wood, this stove burns very hot, I am anxious to see how long of a burn I can get but that can wait until this fall

Todd said:
Nice looking Olympic. What was wrong with the Quad?

Nothing, absolutely nothing. I always wanted an Olympic (father in law has had one for about 10 years). No room for three stoves...well.....maybe.....No really no room for three so the Quad loses. Got a good price back on that, no worries

These 2 beasts will heat my entire house no problem

Nice, your gonna be needing more wood, more wood!!
I think I saw that bug on top dancing to the Bee Gees.

JFK said:
Man you read me like a book, I would have a lot more wood stoves if I had more cash and more house :cheese:

Looks awesome now you gotta wait til winter to really use it!

Ray

Congratulations on the install and purchase. Good time to burn it in since you should be able to open lots of
windows. :)

Carl said:
Congratulations on the install and purchase. Good time to burn it in since you should be able to open lots of
windows. :)

Right you are!

Status
Not open for further replies.