Just bought most of my heat for next year.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gibson

Apr 29, 2008
Lincoln, RI
I just had what I could best judge to be 2.75 cord, delivered for $500. It has been cut for a year but just recently split. Going year to year, like I do, I really don't like oak that much, I can not season it enough. Alas, a full load of maple, ash, black walnut, box elder, and some red oak. So now I know what I am doing next weekend. That will be the end of thinking about winter for a while. Pics to follow.

Good price and you can put the stuff to bed for a while. Enjoy Spring and Summer knowing the deed is done.

Now I have to get up the energy to get 2013/2014 on the stacks or be sorry later.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
I just had what I could best judge to be 2.75 cord, delivered for $500. It has been cut for a year but just recently split. Going year to year, like I do, I really don't like oak that much, I can not season it enough. Alas, a full load of maple, ash, black walnut, box elder, and some red oak. So now I know what I am doing next weekend. That will be the end of thinking about winter for a while. Pics to follow.

Man that's a great price for c/s/d firewood considering gas is approaching $4.00 per gallon!

Ray

BrotherBart said:
Good price and you can put the stuff to bed for a while. Enjoy Spring and Summer knowing the deed is done.

Now I have to get up the energy to get 2013/2014 on the stacks or be sorry later.

I try to get mine stacked when the snow abates as it's much better to stack when it's cold out.. Must be getting warm out your way Bart by now?

Ray

Enjoy the work John. Just don't get any blisters. And once you are done it will give you pleasure looking at the stacked wood.

raybonz said:
I try to get mine stacked when the snow abates as it's much better to stack when it's cold out.. Must be getting warm out your way Bart by now?

Ray

Had a fire last night and we just might make it to 90 tomorrow. Groan.

Why dont you buy a cord or so of oak now for the year after? Thats if you have room. Im building some racks so I can get wood for 2012-13, thats if we're all still here after Dec 23, 2012.
I was going to build a big shed but like the experienced guys here say, sheds are for seasoned wood not seasoning wood so Im building 1 1/2 cord racks in such a way that I can slide a roof on top once winter hits so I dont have to mess with snow and ice.

Weatherguy do you have any pic's of your racks? I want to build something too because I'm sooo tired of tarps blowing off in winter and the pile getting packed with snow. Thanks

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
That will be the end of thinking about winter for a while.

You can think about next winter every time oil and gas increase in price, that stack of wood should give you a warm inner glow..............

will711 said:
Weatherguy do you have any pic's of your racks? I want to build something too because I'm sooo tired of tarps blowing off in winter and the pile getting packed with snow. Thanks

Will, I'm not weatherguy but here is how we do our stacks. Old galvanized roofing works really well.

Woodfrom2009.jpg

will711 said:

Ill take some pics and post them, I built two and they came out alright but I think Ive improved on the idea for the next two I build. I bought the corner braces from Home depot and a bunch of 2X4's. The old ones are 12 feet long, the new ones will be 12 feet long also and 6 feet high. They're basically a rectangular frame with 2 x 4's on the sides, Im building the new ones on top of pallets. Doing it this way I lay 2x4's or anything you want across the top for a cover.
Backwoods, I like your idea, I may get some of that to cover my racks. I like the racks better becaue I can stack quicker and higher and I had a lot of scrap wood I put to use.
I have a great spot in my yard to place the racks where they're exposed to wind and sun and I can split right next to them or have a load dropped off right near them so stacking is easy.

Thanks Savage & Weatherguy appreciate the pic's and info I've looking at the metal roof panels I can get them at the local lumber yard or Lowe's last a lot longer than a tarp or plastic.

will711 said:
Thanks Savage & Weatherguy appreciate the pic's and info I've looking at the metal roof panels I can get them at the local lumber yard or Lowe's last a lot longer than a tarp or plastic.
Depending on how "looks" matters to your situation you might look into a scrap yard or surplus place for some used/salvaged corrugated tin roofing...might save some buck$.

Ed

BrotherBart said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Had a fire last night and we just might make it to 90 tomorrow. Groan.

I hear ya Bart! Supposed to get over 80 here tomorrow and I ran the stove this morning! Redid the soil in front of the house this morning, reseeded, fertilized and watered.. Grass got killed during the July 4th week heatwave while I was camping in Maine last summer..

Ray

Backwoods Savage said:
will711 said:

Will, I'm not weatherguy but here is how we do our stacks. Old galvanized roofing works really well.

Woodfrom2009.jpg

Nice woodpiles Dennis! Hope you're doing well! I should look into those gal-v panels at Lowes if they have them..

Ray

Thanks Ray. I think things are coming along better than expected. I even got in a 15 mile bike ride today and it did not bother the hip or leg. Man, it got hot today too. When you are accustomed to temperatures in the 30's and 40's and it suddenly hits 80, it feels like July

Status
Not open for further replies.