Just came in from splitting & stacking about 1/3 cord of red oak.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
I love splitting red oak. No knots... my 8 lb maul simply destroys those rounds.
Can't wait till next weekend. My goal is to split/stack the same amount of wood as I've already burned so far this season. (1 cord +-)

I bucked and split about half what I bucked of pine today. Tree was a good size. Its been down and off the ground for about a year. I reckon I'll get about 3/4 of a cord from it.

I would love to cut and split another cord or two, but with a foot or more of snow on the ground, I will probably have to wait until it melts.

leftyscott said:
I love splitting red oak. No knots... my 8 lb maul simply destroys those rounds.
Can't wait till next weekend. My goal is to split/stack the same amount of wood as I've already burned so far this season. (1 cord +-)

I always thought red oak was hard to split because the bucked sections that I got from the local veneer company were all rejects (usually knots or stumps). The knots are tough to split but the stumps were a real workout. When I finally got a red oak tree from craigslist one day I realized how easy 90% of it was to split.

I've already split all of my red oak :( With no knots, it does split fairly easy.

The only trouble with red oak is that it takes forever to dry. I just split a split that had been sitting outside for 18months and it is still off the chart on my moisture meter. I have 6 cords stacked of green red oak that was cut and split in sept and oct. that I was hoping to use next yr...don't think that 's gonna happen.

Last year I split a cord of red oak and had a blast, however I now have a bunch of Pin oak in the driveway and that seems to be a bit differnt as I cant even get a wedge to stick in it for more than a few swings of the maul, it bounces right back out of the wood :-( Pin oak is gonna be much harder to split? Should I wait to split it ?

bigdaddybry said:
The only trouble with red oak is that it takes forever to dry. I just split a split that had been sitting outside for 18months and it is still off the chart on my moisture meter. I have 6 cords stacked of green red oak that was cut and split in sept and oct. that I was hoping to use next yr...don't think that 's gonna happen.

I have about 1.5 - 2 more cords of red oak to split. I've got next year covered so all of this is for 2011-2012 burning season.

Status
Not open for further replies.