Just checking in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Well, its mid August and the temp today is supposed to be mid 90's

No fires now since real early June.

All is well for now.

Hope everyone is having a lovely summer.

Snowy

Hi there Snowy, we appear to be over our spell of hot and humid.

Busy with preserving our garden harvests.

My eighth canning session (fifth for pickles) is scheduled for next Friday evening.

Today there are two pots of tomatoes stewing down for sauce.

Have you seen the accuweather winter forecast, I understand that you folks are going to get clobbered.

Nice to hear from you snowy,

Summer has been grand so far. A tad hot though! Seems we are in for a little break for a while. My son and I have got some nice fishing trips in and the bite has been really good. Like STB we are starting to reap what the garden is offering. My wife is canning as I type. The tomatoes are coming along and the squash is doing good too.

To keep this pellet related, We have our winters supply all tucked in and the stove is cleaned and ready to fire. But hopefully it will still be a while before its that time again. I might do a quick test burn in the first week of September, Just to be sure its ready to roll.

Enjoy the rest of the summer and lets hope fall is still a ways away! :)

j-takeman said:
.......the stove is cleaned and ready to fire. But hopefully it will still be a while before its that time again. I might do a quick test burn in the first week of September, Just to be sure its ready to roll........
:lol:
C'mon jay....admit it. You KNOW your stove is fine and ready to throw the heat....you just want to burn some pellets, and any excuse will do.... you've got pellet fever BAD :lol:

imacman said:
j-takeman said:
.......the stove is cleaned and ready to fire. But hopefully it will still be a while before its that time again. I might do a quick test burn in the first week of September, Just to be sure its ready to roll........
:lol:
C'mon jay....admit it. You KNOW your stove is fine and ready to throw the heat....you just want to burn some pellets, and any excuse will do.... you've got pellet fever BAD :lol:

:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

Hey Snowy,

Glad to hear all is well, same here, pellets are stacked and ready to roast! Are you stocked up yet? another month and we'll be pushing the start buttons!

Werm said:
......another month and we'll be pushing the start buttons!

Watch it with that type of talk! :mad:

I don't plan on hitting that button until maybe the beginning of Oct.

imacman said:
Werm said:
......another month and we'll be pushing the start buttons!

Watch it with that type of talk! :mad:

I don't plan on hitting that button until maybe the beginning of Oct.

Sure you will Pete, I bet you will be checking that stove out the 1st week of Sept, Just like me! :lol: ;-P

j-takeman said:
Sure you will Pete, I bet you will be checking that stove out the 1st week of Sept, Just like me! :lol: ;-P

Uh.......NO. Unless the interior of my house gets down into the lower 60's, I'm not going anywhere near that ON button.

I'm imagining that I'm a landlord to myself....in NY, legally a landlord doesn't have to turn on the heat until Oct 15th.....that's what I'm shooting for. :)

BTU said:
imacman said:
j-takeman said:

Uh.......NO. Unless the interior of my house gets down into the lower 60's, I'm not going anywhere near that ON button.

I'm imagining that I'm a landlord to myself....in NY, legally a landlord doesn't have to turn on the heat until Oct 15th.....that's what I'm shooting for. :)

Is it just me....or do I see a little wager here.....???

No wager, Pete's has daughters(girls) in the house they will give him the I'm cold look and he will do the same as I. Start the heat or else! :lol:

No offense girls! Daughters! Wifes! Grandma's! ect. Nothing wrong with using the powers given!(I probably will be in the dog house for sometime to come, so go easy on me girls! I will learn one day to just shut up and so on!) :cheese:

Greetings from Cape Cod,

Warm and sticky here tonight.

1/4 ton Okies still in basement ready to burn.
My old EF-2 is clean and ready to burn
OAK still has a sock stuffed into its mouth (keeps the bees out) but that can be pulled in a second (In case of a flash freeze) :)

Good to see everyone again.

Looking forward to another season.

Just waiting for that first frost. After the heat we had in July I was ready then.

Oil at $2.38 a gal around here (fixed)

Looking for 3 tons of pellets for the year but not in a rush. Basement still drying out from the floods of this spring and summer.
I live on a lake. Normally I'm about 150' to the waters edge. But this year the waves were breaking in my driveway (about 15' from my basement door).
3 sump pumps running at 30 second intervals from March-last week. They are still running but the basement floor is drying out.
Was not a good year for my basement woodshop :-(

See you all soon.
Stay Warm :)

---Nailer---

nailed_nailer said:
.....Just waiting for that first frost. After the heat we had in July I was ready then.

Oil at $138.00 a gal around here......

How ya doin Nailed? Good to hear from you. You're starting to sound like Jay Takeman, as far as being ready to burn already... :lol:

As for the price of oil in your area, all i can say is YIKES!!!! :bug:

Thanks imacman,

I just fixed it.

As bad as it is $2.38 a gal, I guess I was exaggerating a bit lol. jeeze, I had the decimal point wrong and the hundreds column......too.

Typing faster than the brain was moving.

Might just be too hot to think here........

---Nailer---

Nailed, I just filled my tank a week or 2 ago....almost the same as you paid, although I just got in under the most recent price increase....I got it for $2.33.....it's up to $2.47 here now. >:-(

imacman said:
Nailed, I just filled my tank a week or 2 ago....almost the same as you paid, although I just got in under the most recent price increase....I got it for $2.33.....it's up to $2.47 here now. >:-(

UM well... I really think fuel oil should go higher for ya guys so you can justify burnin all those pellets. :lol:

We have always been around the $5 a gallon mark or $1.18 a litre at present time. (IT GOES UP IN THE WINTER). :coolsmirk: You guys still have it lucky and I am just jealous as I cant afford to burn Oil or very little of it. Non last year.

OK I will get back over to the wood shed now. :cheese:
Stay warm , Cheers
N of 60

north of 60 said:
....UM well... I really think fuel oil should go higher for ya guys so you can justify burnin all those pellets. :lol: ......

Believe me, I will be burning pellets this winter, for sure. With the average price I paid for all the pellets I have working out to $230/ton, heating oil would have to go below $2.00/gal here for me to even think about not burning pellets, and that ain't happening, IMO.

I just got a delivery of HHO last week to fill the tank, and the average price for what I now have in the tank is $2.43/gal. I should be good to go for the winter, since most of the oil goes to the indirect water heater, plus a little to keep the coldest rooms above 55.

The pellet stove will be crankin' this winter!!

Status
Not open for further replies.