Just clean Chimney! Ready Or NOT!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vixster

Nov 20, 2010
Rockland Co , ny
Hey Everybody...
In some ways I'm excited to get back to burning (even tho summer is my favorite season). This year will be my 2nd year of full time burning for heat. I just cleaned the chimney with the "Sooteater." (basically a weed wacker) I got about 3 cups of coffee looking stuff which I will assume is creosote. The chimney goes up aprox 24'. Does this seem a lot or average? Last year the stove was installed and it was first year of burning full time. I get wood delivered so I can only hope for the best. I bought myself a chain saw, sow now I have become a wood scavenger for 2013! my own wood! Let me know if you think 3 cups is too much and I'm doing something wrong or it's just the wood. Thanks... Looking forward to learning a whole lot more!
Best,
Vixster

It's not bad, but if the wood was bought it may have not been fully seasoned. If buying, it is good to buy a year or more in advance or at the very least, buy in spring and properly stack it so that the prevailing winds can blow through it.

If you only got 3 cups from 24' of flue after a full year of burning, I'd say you're doing just fine!

Mine is a straight run about 20 some ft and i get about 3 cups of small dry shinny chips ever year. It's been about the same for 10 years. We don't burn full time, a few full time weeks and weekends.

How much wood did you burn last year?

3 cups not bad at all.

You get wood delivered so can only hope for the best? You can do even better. Buy that wood a year before you need to burn it and then you'll know it is good.

@brotherbart. I think we burned aprox 4 cords..
thanks for the feed back everyone!
I know we have to start stocking for the following year.. we just have a space limitation here :((

If all you got was 3 cups after 4 full cords, I'd say you're doing great!

YIPPIE YIPPE YIPPE... I'm doing the wood dance as I write this.. Thanks for making my DAY!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.