Just cleaned chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HighHeat22

Sep 29, 2011
southern michigan
I just cleaned my chimney and have some questions. I last cleaned about 6 weeks ago and decided to check and sure enough it needed again. I got about half a coffee can (34 oz) out of and was surprised I got that much. I have a tall chimney about 16 ft inside single and about 12ft double stainless up top.

I had much more buildup in the lower pipe inside the house than in the double outside above. At least 2/3 in lower and maybe 1/3 in upper. My cap was surprising very clean.

I thought the top of chimney was suppose to get more ?.

Its been weird weather this year in 50's yesterday and 40's today. News just said the 13th warmest january in michigan since 1880 and thats what 130 yrs. I have not keep a continues fire going in the warmer weather. I have a lot of new startups.

My main concern is why do I have more buildup in the lower than in the upper part of chimney.

Any chance you might have some air leaks at the seams ?

Yes, possible. What do I look for. I do not see anything exiting connections inside the house or outside.

When I have a good fire going I can go outside and see smoke coming out of top of chimney.

You would not see any smoke at the seams as the draw would take the smoke to the top. But if cool air is being drawn in it could cause creosote. While you have a fire going take a lighter and go around the seams and see if it draws the flame in.

Yes, sure enough have some leaks.

Thank You, what should I use to seal up with.

Funny was told by several people. Oh, you do not need to seal joints in inside pipe on chimney.

Rutland makes a few products that are supposed to be for metal to metal but I am not a big fan of sealers as they tend to get brittle and fall off. Can you post some pics of your pipe setup and try to point out where they are leaking ?

Status
Not open for further replies.