just cleaned the chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony

Oct 14, 2012
Been burning 24/7 for about 1.5 months. 2/3 cord so far. Got 2 shovels of fine black creosote how am I doing?

Attachments

• 2012-12-10_18-49-04_849.jpg
    2012-12-10_18-49-04_849.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 140
Thats not bad in my book but keep an eye on it ! Clean the chimney every month if you need to in order to be safe. You will get better with time and dryer wood. I get about that in a season because we burn very dry wood. The dryer the wood the cleaner your chimney will be in my experience.

Pete

I should also point out if you run your stove hot it will keep the flue much cleaner as well.

Pete

Reactions: milleo
I'd say do it again after the next 2/3 to 1 cord of wood (especially if this is an easy chimney to clean safely). Keep that consistent schedule for a while and you'll be able to better compare what you are getting from the chimney after cleaning versus any changes in your habits / wood supply.

As of right now, I'd say you are doing well. But having a bunch of similar cleanings to compare to will help you decide in the future when/if you want to extend your cleaning interval, and what to look for that may make you decide to clean things sooner / change your habits.

Well done.

pen

Thanks for the replies. Last year the chimney sweeper said I was doing everything wrong so I credit these forums for setting me on the right path.

If you still have that creosote, I would be happy to get it from you and compensate you for shipping and handling. Looking for creosote and my fireplace does not generate enough. Thanks

What is with you and looking for creosote? What do you use the stuff for?

Lol. No thanks, really wanted to experiment on weeds in my garden. Old recipes call for Wood soot, not some cobbled up chemical product.

Lol. No thanks, really wanted to experiment on weeds in my garden. Old recipes call for Wood soot, not some cobbled up chemical product.

If this is for keeping weeds down on food bearing plants, I'd want to reconsider. Creosote isn't exactly healthy for a person.

pen

Been burning 24/7 for about 1.5 months. 2/3 cord so far. Got 2 shovels of fine black creosote how am I doing?
People comment often on here about how much creosote they got from a sweeping. Without knowing the size and length of the chimney not sure what the relevance is.

sorry didnt keep the soot.

as for the chimney size, 6" x 20'.

Don't mind them, Anthony *raises left eye brow* :p

Keep an eye on it , like others have said, but your doing okey doke.

Welcome to the forums, incase I missed you some where !

Status
Not open for further replies.