1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Just cleaned up the rust on my Empress

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by srjtr7, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srjtr7

srjtr7 Member

Loc:
    Near Boston
    When I went to clean my Empress for the first time. (I had it installed last year) I had rust inside.

Many people gave me suggestions here on what to do. I decided to clean, sand, scrape and paint.

I used Hi temp stove paint that I got from the pellet stove place that I bought my stove from.

I know for the first few times I run the stove it will stink.

How do you think I did?

Will this protect it from rust?

Will the paint just burn off?

Here it is before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

During cleanup

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Czech

Czech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Twin Cities, MN
    Excellent job! I just did the same to my Castile with the same results. I don't think the paint will last long in the those areas with a lot of flame contact, but I've burned mine quite a few times and a still looks great.
  3. srjtr7

srjtr7 Member

Loc:
    Near Boston
    how long do you think I should wait until I fire it up?
  4. ktfinch2000

ktfinch2000 New Member

Loc:
    Coventry, Rhode Island
    very nice job. Do you think this is something that needs to be done now and then for looks?
  5. Czech

Czech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Twin Cities, MN
    Don't take my advice, I waited a few hours and thought it would 'cure' quicker with a little heat. Ended up re-doing the sides. A day or so probably should be fine I would think. Fire sure looks pretty now with a black background. For looks and good maint imho.
  6. srjtr7

srjtr7 Member

Loc:
    Near Boston
    I only had my stove for one year and it was rusting and looked bad to me. I might have put 15 bags through it.

I did it so 1. it would look good. and 2. so that I could make sure the stove last as long as possible and does not rust out.

Not that I mind doing it.....but I wish they told me about this when I bought it.

I allready fire it up.

I let the panels sit in the sun for a few hours. Installed them waited a few hours and then started it on low for a hour.

Then medium for 2 hours.

I will take it apart tommorow and see if any of the paint looks different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.