Just cleaned up the rust on my Empress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srjtr7

Jan 16, 2008
Near Boston
When I went to clean my Empress for the first time. (I had it installed last year) I had rust inside.

Many people gave me suggestions here on what to do. I decided to clean, sand, scrape and paint.

I used Hi temp stove paint that I got from the pellet stove place that I bought my stove from.

I know for the first few times I run the stove it will stink.

How do you think I did?

Will this protect it from rust?

Will the paint just burn off?

Here it is before.

2857180823_b1bc9ef0c8_d.jpg

2857175677_b774f72b68_d.jpg

During cleanup

2888376076_5ab5324d65_d.jpg

After

2887544163_5a4fb05010_d.jpg

2887547881_a55c1fed23_d.jpg

Excellent job! I just did the same to my Castile with the same results. I don't think the paint will last long in the those areas with a lot of flame contact, but I've burned mine quite a few times and a still looks great.

Don't take my advice, I waited a few hours and thought it would 'cure' quicker with a little heat. Ended up re-doing the sides. A day or so probably should be fine I would think. Fire sure looks pretty now with a black background. For looks and good maint imho.

I only had my stove for one year and it was rusting and looked bad to me. I might have put 15 bags through it.

I did it so 1. it would look good. and 2. so that I could make sure the stove last as long as possible and does not rust out.

Not that I mind doing it.....but I wish they told me about this when I bought it.

I allready fire it up.

I let the panels sit in the sun for a few hours. Installed them waited a few hours and then started it on low for a hour.

Then medium for 2 hours.

I will take it apart tommorow and see if any of the paint looks different.

Status
Not open for further replies.