Just curious - a 2001 Jotul Castine value....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
Someone not so close to me is selling a nice looking ivory Jotul 400 for $1100. I imagine that is a very nice price, but is it still for a stove that age? Have they improved or changed significantly in the past decade?
Just curious.

Oh, and would the EPA specs be any different than the current one?

That stove is the same as far as I know except for the older ones had the double doors instead of single. I personally think that the price is a bit high, especially depending on the condition of the stove. I bought a used Castine a few years back for $1000 but that thing was mint- looked like it was brand new.

I would have to see what I could get a new one for prior to entertaining this stove.

I believe 2001 was a 2 door model, but other than that it is pretty much the same as today's stove. In 2004 they switched to a single front door with a slightly improved airwash system. In terms of burning performance, they are virtually identical. I believe they also updated the handle on the ash door.

Jotul stoves hold their value so I am not surprised at that asking price. You don't see too many of these for sale because it is a pretty good stove and people tend to keep them indefinitely.

That being said, if it were me, I would buy a brand new one which has an msrp of $1,965 and if you shop around you should be able to knock a couple hundred off of that. With the 30% tax discount you are looking at $1,200-1,400 for a new stove. The fancy enamel paint is another 350 bucks if you are into that sort of thing. Also, there is talk in Washington of bumping up the energy tax credit to 50% for next year, though they are still mulling this about in the Senate.

This summer I picked up a used oslo F500 off the Charlottesville, VA Craigslist for $1000. It is a year newer than the castine you are looking at.

Huh, thank you all for the replies. I have not shopped this stove new as I am mainly looking at inserts but I have seen some really nice in-fireplace installs of the Castine on here so I was sort of tempted when I saw this one online, though it's not really a convenient drive distance either. I guess I assumed it was more expensive new than it actually is, too. You are right, it's got two doors. It's the ivory enamel and appears to be in nice condition. But if I could work this stove it would be with a lot of work on clearances as well as a short leg kit. If it were close by and cheaper though... might be worth the extra effort!

Thanks again. Pretty stoves!
Congrats on the Cville Oslo deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.