Just curious

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgrz0610

Burning Hunk
Dec 13, 2011
Eastern CT, Andover
I keep seeing talk of a baffle plate over the heat exchangers on an M55. I have the insert but there is no plate on mine. IE I can see the heat exchanger tubes if I look through the window. Am I missing a part or did they stop using the baffle? I sure hope I'm not missing a piece but it would make sense to have a baffle there to prevent the fly ash buildup.

If anyone knows, thanks for the response.

JGrizz said:
I keep seeing talk of a baffle plate over the heat exchangers on an M55. I have the insert but there is no plate on mine. IE I can see the heat exchanger tubes if I look through the window. Am I missing a part or did they stop using the baffle? I sure hope I'm not missing a piece but it would make sense to have a baffle there to prevent the fly ash buildup.

If anyone knows, thanks for the response.

I can't speak to the particular part in this case even being part of your stove, however in general any piece of metal stuck between the burn pot and the heat exchangers is going to trap all kinds of ash on its surfaces. It is just in the nature of the exhaust gases going past it.

My Free Standing M55 Cast has the baffle plate.
The M55 Steel has the same plate.

Not sure if it is supposed to be there for the inserts.
Looking at the Enviro M55C-FPI tech manual
http://www.enviro.com/images/manuals-brochures/owners-manuals/C-12333 Instruction M55C-FPI Domestic Technical Manual.pdf

Page 28. Part # 39 sure looks like a heat exchanger Baffle. In the parts list all it says is Baffle.

Hope this helps.

---Nailer---

nailed_nailer said:
My Free Standing M55 Cast has the baffle plate.
The M55 Steel has the same plate.

Not sure if it is supposed to be there for the inserts.
Looking at the Enviro M55C-FPI tech manual
http://www.enviro.com/images/manuals-brochures/owners-manuals/C-12333 Instruction M55C-FPI Domestic Technical Manual.pdf

Page 28. Part # 39 sure looks like a heat exchanger Baffle. In the parts list all it says is Baffle.

Hope this helps.

---Nailer---

Yeah, I'd agree that's a baffle alright. I'll have to call my dealer this week and find out for sure. Didn't want to call if it's something that's not supposed to be there but I was reading another post and I said "hey, I have that stove and I don't have that part...hmmmm." I wonder what the purpose would be other than eliminating fly ash from having direct access to the exchanger? Oh well, if it's supposed to be there I suppose I should put it there and find out if it helps or hinders. Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.