Just finished upgrading my attic from R13 to R43...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Feeling the Heat
May 9, 2008
Rural New England
Well, I know I should have done this years ago, but just today finished upgrading my attic insulation from R13 (with several spots with no insulation), to at least R43 by adding new unfaced R30 on top of my existing stuff, run in the opposite direction. It'll be interesting to see how much my wood consumption goes down. I have noticed already that the house seems to be warmer in the morning than it otherwise would have been (i.e. it holds the heat better), but without adjusting for weather conditions I can't really say for sure.

Any guesses on the percentage of wood this upgrade will save me?

PS: Anyone planning on adding insulation, Home Depot is having a great deal on R30 unfaced rolls, 25' long, by 16" wide rolls for $9.37 each...haven't seen prices like that in a while.

We blew cellulose insulation over the top of the crisscrossed batts when we were finished. it made a difference by sealing any cracks or penetrations in the layers of batt insulation. I just bought insulation for my Garn room and was also surprised at the pricing.....cheaper now than nine years ago!

I did the exact same upgrade on my house a few years back and additionally insulated and sealed the attic hatch really well. Oil usage went down about 20%. This was before I put in the woodstove.

MrEd said:
Well, I know I should have done this years ago, but just today finished upgrading my attic insulation from R13 (with several spots with no insulation), to at least R43 by adding new unfaced R30 on top of my existing stuff, run in the opposite direction. It'll be interesting to see how much my wood consumption goes down. I have noticed already that the house seems to be warmer in the morning than it otherwise would have been (i.e. it holds the heat better), but without adjusting for weather conditions I can't really say

Thanks for bringing this up. I've got about R-19 which was OK when the house was built, but upon investigation I see now they recommend R-49. I'm going to HD and get some of that R-30. Looks like Obama pays for 1/3 of it through tax credits, so that's only $6 and change per 25 ft roll. Now's the time. Maybe after an additional 30 I'll be able to heat with as little wood as Nofossil.

Obama gets the credit, the tax payers get the bill. It is somewhat of a good idea though. I think insulation and storm windows should be a tax deduction anyway. You will notice a difference right away and the attic is most important.

Status
Not open for further replies.