Just got a Jotul 8..... and broke it......:-(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

happycat254

Nov 26, 2010
Catskill mountains, NYsas
Hi all. I'm hoping you might be able to advise me on how to fix my damage. Here's what happened. I was taking the catalitic access plate off the back so I could check it out and the top two bolts broke off. Here's how they fit. Bolt comes out of back wall of stove and has a nut securing it to the wall. Then the plate goes over it with another nut holding that on. Well the right side snapped clean off when I took the first nut off then again when I tried the second nut. Gave it a tap with a nail and I'm ready to replace the bolt. No problem.
Unfortunately the left side was less cooperative. The outer nut broke the bolt when I tried to take it it off. The inner nut had pretty much lost it's "nut shape" and did not respond to wrenches or vise grips. So I took a chisel to it. Should have known better. Wasn't thinking at my best. Got about half way through and then I broke a piece off of the top edge of the opening. It is about 3/4" x 3" from the bolt hole, slanting down to the edge. I held the cover plate up and it doesn't cover the gap.

Here is my question. Can I weld it back on with my MIG welder? I figure if I can tack it in place, I can put a big washer on the inside and outside run a bolt through them and hold it together with a nut and slather stove cement on it to seal it. Thoughts? Suggestions?
I only paid 100.00 for it, but I hate to give up on it and am willing to be creative. Its a nice stove and should work well for our living room. (Even matches our furniture).
Thanks
Ed

You can buy nickel mig wire and I have known it to be done on engine blocks successfully. Google up Royal 44-30 wire. About 30-40 a lb. You won't get penetration with regular mig wire and you'll lay a gob of junk on top of the crack. When I DC weld cast I don't grove out the crack if the cast is thinner than 1/8". When I have it just seemed to make things worse. Maybe some pics of what you've done and someone may have a better idea. Lesson learned...cast is brittle.

Status
Not open for further replies.