Just got an Empress FS Pellet Stove....some questions??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srjtr7

Jan 16, 2008
Near Boston
Hi,

I just got a Empress FS Pellet Stove installed today in my basement. I have a few questions.

1. I know there is a smell due to burn off/ new install....how long does this smell take to go away?
2. How many bags aday?? I think 1.5-2 ??
3. The blower fan in the front....when on medium i feel the blower only about 1 foot away...on high I feel the blower 2-3 feet away....is this normal?
4. How warm should a 1000 sf insullated finished basement to heat up to?? without stove running it is 58-60 degrees. On medium for a few hours 72 degrees.

I know #4 is a tough question to answer....but just a ball park.

I plan on running it on high for awhile on sat. Am I exspecting to much to think I can hit 80 or above?

My neibor has a fireplace insert and I can feel the blower about 5 feet away and it makes his big living room around 85.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks.

1. I know there is a smell due to burn off/ new install....how long does this smell take to go away?
3. The blower fan in the front....when on medium i feel the blower only about 1 foot away...on high I feel the blower 2-3 feet away....is this normal?
4. How warm should a 1000 sf insullated finished basement to heat up to?? without stove running it is 58-60 degrees. On medium for a few hours 72 degrees.

I fired my stove up for the first time at about 6 p.m. and shut it down about 10 p.m. The next morning when I turned it back on, the 'new stove smell' was gone.

I've been running my Empress FS on the lowest setting most of the time - now and then I'll run it up to level two or three when it gets down into the twentys outside - and I'm using about 1 bag of pellets a day.

I know it takes longer to heat the stove up from a cold start than I thought it would, but no longer than my old soapstone wood stove used to take. It also takes longer to heat up my 25x30 livingroom-diningroom than I thought it would but I have to remind myself that I have it set on level one and not level 5. I guess I should run it full out when I want heat faster.

I know I've skirted around some of your questions because I can't give you a definative answer. Maybe someone else with more experience can give you more concrete answers.

Rods answers in bold

Hi,

I just got a Empress FS Pellet Stove installed today in my basement. I have a few questions.

2-4 hours

All depends on your heating needs

Yes it has a Low CFM blower to keep the noise down.

All depends on the heat loss of the basement to the Uper level and out other heat loosing factors.

I plan on running it on high for awhile on sat. Am I exspecting to much to think I can hit 80 or above?

My neibor has a fireplace insert and I can feel the blower about 5 feet away and it makes his big living room around 85.

Sorry for all the questions.

If you are heating a finished area you could potentially heat it up to 100 deg Depending on the heat loss of the room and how cold it is out side.

Thanks,

I will run it on Sat. and see if the smell is gone.

OK, the low CFM would make sense.....it is very quite.

I will run it on high an see what temp I can reach.

Is there anything I should keep an eye on with this stove?

Any better type of pellet to get the best heat?

How often should I clean this? And what do I need to do other than clean the ash pan.

Thanks.

How often should I clean this? And what do I need to do other than clean the ash pan.

Actually, the burn pot and the burn pot liner need to be cleaned out every two to three days depending on the heat level you run it at and how much ash the pellets create. And don't forget to move the rod back and forth to scrape the heat exchanger tubes before you open the door to clean out the fire box area. The ash pan only needs to be emptied every other time or once a week.

Anyone know why the insert model has such a larger blower? I think it's 165 vs. the 105 on the FS.

srjtr7 said:
Thanks,

I will run it on Sat. and see if the smell is gone.

OK, the low CFM would make sense.....it is very quite.

I will run it on high an see what temp I can reach.

Is there anything I should keep an eye on with this stove?

Any better type of pellet to get the best heat?

Thanks.

*I recently had a pellet stove installed as well. It took roughly 24 hours approx. of running before my new stove smell diminished.

*Getting your area up to temp can vary. Depending on the layout and outside temp too. I notice that the closer we get to "0" in outside temp the longer it takes me to get the warmth we want in other rooms.

*Any type of pellets....well I think thats where this forum comes in especially the price report if people add comments to how their peelets they purchased are burning. Pellets vary in quality.

*I clean my burn pot daily as well as my ash pan.....but as some have said u can go every other day or so and longer on the ash pan . I'm just the type of guy that cant sit still to long and just find myself doing it daily and I vacuum it out daily except for the extensive vacuuming.

* I go through approx. 1 bag a day, sometimes less.

Happy Heating!

tmiraglia said:
Anyone know why the insert model has such a larger blower? I think it's 165 vs. the 105 on the FS.

The blower for the Empress insert is a much lower CFM blower
it uses the EF4 blower. Unless your blower was replaced at one time.

The empress INSERT has a lower CFM

i have an enviro fe3 my house is 43 yrs old. pink batt insulation in wall R20 approx. basement is approx 1000sf on a day thats 4-5 degrees below 0 it will get 94-96 degrees in rec room with pellet feed on high and blower fan on high. some colder days high 80s.

OK, I have not yet cleaned the Empress yet...but I think I know what the burn pot and liner are.

But where is the rod your talking about moving to scrape the heat exchanger tubes??

Is there a doc somewhere that tells you how to clean it??? I read the manuals, but did not see anything.

Thanks again.

srjtr7 said:
OK, I have not yet cleaned the Empress yet...but I think I know what the burn pot and liner are.

But where is the rod your talking about moving to scrape the heat exchanger tubes??

Is there a doc somewhere that tells you how to clean it??? I read the manuals, but did not see anything.

Thanks again.

You should have a couple of cleaning rods at the top of your stove on the outside that you pull a couple times or so ....your manual "should" tell you that...hmm...

srjtr7 said:

Thanks again.

The free standing has tubes with a scraper

If you have the insert there are no tubes it has heat sink fins and no scaper

In the middle of page 11 of my Empress Owners manual it tells you how to clean the heat exchanger tubes. The little handle is hard to find and I missed it the first two times I cleaned my stove. If I hadn't read it in the manual and went looking for the handle I would never have seen it. The manual says to do it weekly, but I see no reason not to do it every time I clean the burn pot and liner.

Just looked at it....I foung the little pull rod....pulled it in and out a few times.

Then tipped the junk from the burn liner and burn box into the ash tray then cleaned out the ash tray.

Seems very easy to do....any reason not to do this everytime the stove is cold??

Or just do it once a week to keep wear and tear down.

srjtr7 said:
Just looked at it....I foung the little pull rod....pulled it in and out a few times.

Then tipped the junk from the burn liner and burn box into the ash tray then cleaned out the ash tray.

Seems very easy to do....any reason not to do this everytime the stove is cold??

Or just do it once a week to keep wear and tear down.
I prefer to do it "daily" but thats just me. As another posted.....I clean my heat chambers at the same time I clean....whole process only takes me 10 minutes or so, so why not keep the mess down to a minimal for optimal operation. :)

YOu dont want to do it when the stove is hot because the scraper might get stuck
for the tubes expand with heat.

I came across ;-P this thread on a search and thought it was a good one to bump up to the top

Status
Not open for further replies.