Just Got My New T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sbohlen

Sep 18, 2008
Mid Coast Maine
Wooohoooo. just got back from picking up my new Alderlea T6. What a beauty!! Cant wait to hook er up and get a fire going. Once I got it off the truck and uncrated, I noticed a few rust spots on one side. I tried to get it off but it looks like I am going to need to touch it up with some paint. Flat black doesnt match. Does anyone know of a paint/color that matches the P.E. Alderlea? I called P.E. and they dont sell the paint.

Whoo hoo is right! Just getting that heavy beast off your truck is a huge accomplishment! Sorry about the rust spots, but I'm sure it's easily fixed. Is the flat black stove paint? Far as I know, stove paint only comes in one color, at least where I can find it locally, there are no color options.

your not kidding it was tough getting it out of the truck. I will need a few asprin and a hot shower. Yes. It was Krylon flat black stove paint but it didn't match well. I was thinking charcoal but I will go with Tom's advise. There also seems like there is some metal flake in the paint. Tom do you know who makes that color. I wonder if I can order it online.

Congrats, post some burn pictures when you get it ripping.

Where did you end up scoring the T6? I know you were looking last week?

Regarding the rust... What is the mfg date of the unit? It is on the sticker on the rear lower panel (Mine is June 2008). Was it used, or stored outside?

I'm on breakin burn # 4, actually the odors have not been that objectionable. Though I have had to let it crank too hard.

The heating characteristics are perfect for our 3100 sq ft open floor plan with cathedral ceilings, not a sunburner (though i have not tried opening the trivets which may increase the radiant heating), I think the only spot it would not work out great is a ski lodge where folks come in from the slopes and want the instant radiant heat...

I bought it in St. Stephen Canada. just over the border from Maine. It's new but it was stored in an unheated warehouse. Apparently some condensation formed under the plastic and where it was touching the stove it rusted. I didnt notie it until I took the plastic off. i dont think it is too big of a deal. I just need to find matching paint.

Can't wait to fire it up. It might be a week. We have a historic house tour going on and my wife wants to keep the Clarion in for that. :long: Glad to hear the breakin fires arent too bad. I think it will work great in our house. I got the blower option just in case. I am going to set up a network of fans to try and spread the heat around.

It convects amazingly, and I don't have the fan. Ceiling fans in every room and two in the great room, three story cathedral. And the temp was amazingly consistent around the house. Mid 40's no wind outside during the last burn.

Curious to hear your report regarding the fan, noise factor, etc...

Good info on the paint, I'm going to make a note in case I ever need some...

Only our first break-in fire was horribly stinky... the second smelled some but wasn't nearly as offensive. Not nearly as bad as I expected.

The week wait is probably good, can rest up for more stove hauling :) Congrats on scoring your T6!

That paint info is going to save me. I also now see that Stove Bright is the brand name of the paint. got some on order. Even the Pacific Energy folks couldn't tell me what paint to use. Glad I found this forum.

The surround on my insert was flaking, so I used that metallic paint Tom was talking about. Even for a hack like me it turned out brilliantly and literally like new. Far better than I expected.

hilly said:
The surround on my insert was flaking, so I used that metallic paint Tom was talking about. Even for a hack like me it turned out brilliantly and literally like new. Far better than I expected.

That must be some good paint.

Congrats on the stove! I know how you feel and it is great.

There is a T6 sitting at a local store here and I can not convince anybody locally to get it. I am starting to feel like I should have gotten it instead of the Leyden.

Old House said:
That paint info is going to save me. I also now see that Stove Bright is the brand name of the paint. got some on order. Even the Pacific Energy folks couldn't tell me what paint to use. Glad I found this forum.

Congratulation on the new stove. You must feel like a kid at Christmas. I'm glad it worked out for you.

Be sure to wire brush the rust first and wipe clean. Then paint as per directions - outside. This is acetone based paint and the fumes are very potent. You'll lose some brain cells if you breath this stuff in.

Don't use this paint on your stovepipe, especially if it's Simpson DVL. Use the Krylon on that.

Speaking of stove pipe.. I have a bout 35 to 40 feet of chimey. I have a damper on the clarion stove pipe and usually close it off some when it gets too hot. Will I need to put in a damper with the T6? Also, I have seen many mentions of different kinds of stove pipe in these forums. The entire wall behind my stove is brick. The pipe will come out of my T6, go straight up about 4 feet and go 90 degrees into the chimney behind it. Is there any reason I can't use single wall plain stove pipe lik I have on the existing stove?

OK. i am preparing to install my T6. I have a couple questions. First, There is no indicator on the airflow level. looking at the mechanism, it looks like moving the lever to the left means MORE air and to the right means less. For some reason this seems counter intuitive to me. Could another T6 owner confirm. Nothing in the manual. Also, I got a bag with 4 carriage bolts in it. No mention of them in the manual either. Does anyone know what they are for? Another post told me I needed to remove the 4 inch knockout in the bottom of the stove. I dont see this nor does the manual mention it. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.