1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Just Got My Northern Tool Cant Hook / Timberjack

Post in 'The Gear' started by MrWhoopee, Oct 30, 2012.

1. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shingletown, Northern California (elev. 4000 ft.)
    This thing is built! The add said fiberglass handle, it didn't say it was 1.80 in. diameter solid fiberglass!
    Without the timberjack it weighs 15 lbs., the steel sleeve is pinned to the handle. At 39.99 + 15.00 shipping, it was a deal.[​IMG]

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200357988_200357988

I didn't buy it for the timberjack, I like to cut and roll. Haven't had a chance to use it, but I have no complaints about the construction. Will report when I get to use it.
    albert1029 likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. dorlow

dorlow New Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    personally i have two log rollers. I have one still one that's made of steal and 4'. It doesn't have the jack on it. Then I have one made of wood that's 4' that has the jack on it. I first bought the wood one with the jack. I found the jack annoying when rolling logs. The jack got in the way. So, I use the one without the jack to roll them around and then the one with the jack to lift them to cut.
  3. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    I've been using that Northern Tool timberjack for a few years. Surprisingly beefy and durable.
  4. rkshed

rkshed Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NH
    Good looking tool.
    I could have ued that Saturday before I nailed the dirt and trashed a good chain.
  5. Clyde S. Dale

Clyde S. Dale Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE PA
    I got it for Xmas last year and have used it many times. It is very useful for turning logs and jacking them up off the ground. You will definitely like it once you are able to use it. Please report back.
  6. turbocruiser

turbocruiser Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Rocky Mountains Majesty
    I too have the same timberjack. I think I remember reading some slightly negative reviews about this tool somewhere just shortly after I already bought it but at least for me and my usage it works very well. I sometimes take the jack-stand part of it off in the woods when it isn't needed (for moving lots of logs around) and then I put the jack-stand on to buck the logs up off of the forest floor. I've moved logs much bigger than what they say the tool can capably handle. I like it lots and use it lots. Hope that helps.
  7. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    I've never used the stand, but use the hook to roll large logs. I usually roll large logs up onto smaller logs to buck them, rather than using the stand. I really like this tool...it is very sturdy and well made.
  8. JOHN BOY

JOHN BOY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western Mountains ,NC
    Cool , been wanting to get a new one. How durable do you feel the handle is going to be.
  9. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Mine has been tossed around, thrown in a tractor bucket, and had very heavy logs on it. Not a problem so far.
  10. dorkweed

dorkweed Guest

Bump to the top........................what say you MrWhoopee???? Also, they must've read your thread..................it's up to $49.99 now!!