Just got nc 13 installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys and gals,
I finally got my nc 13 installed and was able to use it in my cabin . I forgot to take some pics --next time . The house is a open floor plan , one story , good dual pane windows , 5 years old and 1700 sf. I went through the pain of seasoning and setting off fire alarms the first night , stunk like he!! and on a ladder at 1 am removing fire alarms , LOL . The next morning loader her up with 3 alligator juniper splits and man she took off quickly . Before I new it she was at 800 and I was freaking out and I shut the air down and put a piece of foil on the air intake :red: . She cooled down quickly and I changed my underwear . The nc 13 performed like a champ . My goal was to make my wife say that she was too warm that day . She was always cold with the furnace , she never said it but I was in shorts and it was 79 degrees in the living room and 70 in the bed rooms. It was not that cold this weekend , 24 / 39 with 10 inches of snow . That night I jammed it full with 4 oaks splits and put the damper cracked . I had a huge bed of coals 6 hours later . I am very pleased with the choice and size of stove . I can't wait till next time I will use it!!! Thanks to all with the info ;-)

That's what is supposed to happen. congrats!

pen

Glad to hear you like it. My NC-13 is due to arrive March 3. Please keep posting about your experiences getting used to the 13. I am looking forward to it. I read alot about people putting foil over the air intake on the 13 and 30 to control over firing, burn times,
ets. Would it make sense to build a steel tab that would pivot on a screw to allow ongoing control of the air intake? Could you post a picture of this area with the tape you put over the hole?
Thanks,
Jbird

I've owned mine 2 years and have never needed to cover the air. If you do, you either have an overdraft which needs to be addressed w/ a flue damper or else you are doing something wrong.

pen

I just did not watch it the fire as closely as I should have . If the damper was not all the way open it would not have over fired .
Question : Is running at 800 degrees for a short period real bad for the stove ? What temp do you normally cruise your stove ?

Congrats on the new stove...I have the 13 and have had very good results...(even though I talk about upgrading to the 30 next year)....I only got the stove top thermometer to 800 once for a very short amount of time. I filled the stove, was getting ready for work, probably left the air inlet open too long (I just started turning it down in increments) and stovetop was just leary of 800. I too, changed the undergarments and then she settled down. I thought I was going to have to wake the husband up if she did not settle but she did......Usually when she cruises, stove top could be 450-700, flue usually 325-400, it depends on all the other factors at the time: wood, temp outside, draft etc...I think you will do well, I am a newbie and still learning. Keeping the air circulating through the house is key, utilizing a box fan, and ceiling fans (clockwise). Good luck and enjoy!!! Oh and some pics would be nice!!!!!!!! Ya need pics so you get your shirt from BrotherBart......

Status
Not open for further replies.