1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Just got permission to pilfer 24 acres ! Need wood ID Please...

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Cutterman, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Cutterman

Cutterman New Member

Loc:
    Catskill / Hudson Valley Region, NY
    OK, Just spoke to the new owner of a 24 acre lot next to my property. He gave me permission to take anything I want ! First tree to come down is this one. Its large (36 in diameter) but I managed to take a branch off for ID purposes. Any idea what I have here ? Thanks ! Joe

Attached Files:

PA Fire Bug likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania
    I'm thinking it is some kind of Maple? Does it have any particular smell to it? If it is Hickory it would smell like manure, Maple wouldn't have too much odor. Whatever it is it looks like good stuff and you've hit the JACKPOT there my friend!!!
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Looks alot like black walnut if you ask me. Does it have a 'new furniture' smell to it? BW has a distinct smell to it.....

Black walnut usually has a thick band of sapwood around the darker heart, just like yours in the picture.
    weatherguy likes this.
  4. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I have some of that exact wood, thought it was maple but I think Scotty might be right.
  5. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    The heart has more of a reddish tint than Black Walnut,even younger wood.Looks like a hickory,bark reminds me of Mockernut to be exact.
    Hickorynut likes this.
  6. Cutterman

Cutterman New Member

Loc:
    Catskill / Hudson Valley Region, NY
    Nope, its not walnut. No nuts on the ground and it does not smell like walnut. I'm thinking some species of Hickory. Its on a very wet plot of land and there are other hickory trees around like shaggbark. It's old and distressed. Looks like it may have been hit by lighting years ago. There's some charing on one side and the trunk seems to be hollow. I'm going to drop it regardless. Wood is dense and hard. At least a cord worth. Should burn well once its seasoned up ! Joe
    ScotO likes this.
  7. nrford

nrford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW lower Mi.
    We don't have much Hickory this far north and zero Mockernut, and it is just not quite right for Hard Maple so.........Final Answer........ Hickory.
    ScotO likes this.
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Yep, if it ain't got that 'fine furniture' smell, I'll agree it's hickory.......get all you can, but be prepared for it to take a good while to season.....2 or more years, to be exact. It's well worth the wait, though.
  9. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Butternut? That's a guess...but looks dang close.