JUST HAD 5 TONS OF PENNINGTON NATURES HEAT DELIVERED FROM HOME DEPOT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schenkp

Jul 22, 2008
NorthEast
OK here’s the scoop after reading what the company did for people that had an issue with their product last year I decided to take the plunge and bought 5 TONS from HomeDepot. To me any company that stands behind their product the way they did in the other thread desires my business.

Last night I broke down all 5 pallets and stacked them in the garage, out of 250 exactly 18 had been punctured in some fashion dribbling pellets all the way up my driveway into my garage. Most of the bags that had issues were part of the bottom row on the pallets. This would leave me to believe that it was a HomeDepot issue and not Pennington, because of the handling from HD. Its was also raining when they where delivered.

Here is where is gets funny, I call HD and let them know that I had 5 tons delivered and that 18 bags had an issue. They said that I could return them and get more bags or a refund. I told them that some of the bags that been opened had water inside them. The person that works in the lawn and garden department told me “that would not cause any issues”…. What a laugh I had at him.

So after examining a bag of open pellets compared to an Energex bag I had left from the dealer the Pennington pellets where longer in some cases over an inch. But they smelled fresher and more natural then the Energex. What does that exactly mean I don’t have a clue the real test will come this fall and winter. I will report back on exactly what happens.

What do you people think?

I say burn a bag tonight when it gets cool and let us know. I don't know if there is any positive correlation to how well a pellet burns based upon the smell. I've never used Pennington, but was impressed with their handling of the whole fiasco last year.

Cant burn a bag its to hot and humid in Connecticut right now but I will soon and report bag. My stove the MT Veron AE has a jam proof auger so i dont think the longer pellets will be a factor.

You are very daring to buy 5 tons without a single test of these pellets. I tried 3 bags last winter from 3 separate stores.....ALL had massive massive fines/sawdust in them....not to mention the heat output wasnt as good as the bulk I had in the basement(Fireside Ultras and NEWP brands).

Ya i hear you loud and clear but sometimes you have to go with your gut :).... How do you define better heat output? From the opened bags there was very little saw dust.

schnkp said:
Ya i hear you loud and clear but sometimes you have to go with your gut :).... How do you define better heat output?

Well....you'll know the better heat output by the temp coming out of the blower....no science really.....but some have a heat output thats pretty crappy. But......hopefully Pennington has their issues settled for this season.... :)

Considering all the major labeled brand I.E. Energex, Ligentics, Hammer Hot Ones etc where all well north of $285 a ton plus $100 + for delivery. I looked for alternatives and found Natures Heat for $249 a tone plus $65 for deliver to be a real bargain. I would have bought the more expensive ones but no one had them all for October delivery etc.

Don't wanna chance it. Besides i have a larger home and will be running my stove on high 24-7 so the higher heat will most like burn these pellets really nice.

In theory .... :)

Home Depot and Lowes as well as my local stove shop will always take back pellets from damaged bags or ones that moisture have entered. My first year burning I picked up 2 pallets from Lowes and every bag on the bottom of the pallet was damaged from the fork lift. They took them all back.

Some pallets had nail heads sticking up thus putting a small hole in some bags of pellets. These were various brands, not limited to any specific product. I just slapped a chunk of duct tape on the hole to seal it up.

I hear ya but these bags had riped wide open because of the handling, mostly like just HD personal not paying attention. 3 of the bags were cetnral located on the middle of the tonage and looked like they hade been blown out due to wieght.

The bags sag just enough through the pallet slats that the forks from the lift rip them when they run the forks under the pallet.

Thats what i thought too, I just cant wait to start buring these bags and sit back and watch the oil truck make deliverys at $4 - $5 dollars gallon to my neightbors. :)

Its truly going to be a nice Christmas.

Fire It Up said:
The bags sag just enough through the pallet slats
that the forks from the lift rip them when they run the forks under the pallet.

Yup. This is the deal. I saw it happen a few years ago when
I had them load a ton onto my friends pickup. Guy ripped up
a few bags then he tells me to walk to the other end to the
garden center with my receipt and get replacement bags.
I handed him the receipt and said how about you go down
and get them for me since you broke em. He was pissy but
did it.
I don't buy pellets at the depot anymore.

Hope yours burn well for you. Enjoy!

schnkp said:
Thats what i thought too, I just cant wait to start buring these bags and sit back and watch the oil truck make deliverys at $4 - $5 dollars gallon to my neightbors. :)

Its truly going to be a nice Christmas.

I know exactly what you mean. Last winter was my first winter burning pellets and I only use furnace for Hot Water.....havent seen the oil main in a very very very long time lol. I saved a ton of $$ last winter burning pellets.

schnkp said:
How big of an area are you heating?

I have the Quadra Fire Castille.
My house is a 24x32( approx. 1268 sq. ft.) Cape. My kids are grown so i dont heat the upstairs all the time. I have a game room upstairs with a 7' slate pool table :) and another room for a work out room.
My downstairs is the main area that I heat with the stove....which is approx. 768 sq. feet. Its obviously not an even heat such as the furnace.....BUT.....with the dollars we save....it dont matter lol. The bedrooms stay a lil bit cooler but i dont mind that. I use a couple small fans to move the air around as well. Overall i am VERY satisfied with it. :)

Im hoping to produce enough heat under the air condition returns to put on the central air fans and distribute the heat thourugh the house. But its along shot but it might just work and work well.

I'm planning on doing the same with central air ducts as well. I also just had 4 tons of these pellets delivered. This was the best deal I could find around in CT. This will be my first year using my new stove and pellets. I sure do hope these work out ok.

Good luck to you on transferring the heat through the air condition duct work.
We live in Ind. in a well insulated 1300 sq. ft. ranch home. We had a free standing wood stove in the basement and right above the stove was a intake vent opening where it took the basement air through the duct work. At the point of that intake was 74 deg. so I told my wife we will turn on the cent. air fan and suck the heat from the basement to the upstairs. NOT!! I could put my hand at the intake and feel the air going into the duct-work but nothing but cold air came out up stairs. All I was running was the fan on the unit not the air.
So I traded the woodburner for a Harman Accentra and put it upstairs and the upstairs is warm all winter. Best move I ever made.
Now I only wish the price of pellets would stop going up.

Bill

circulating air theough ductwork from a room with a stove generally is not going to yield the results most expect. think about it this way , the room the stove is in is relatively warm but the ducts are not , so first the ducts have to be heated, this takes the thermal energy completely out of the moving air (already diffused by the flow of air anyway) so it could take hours before you see any appreciable difference in temperature especially if the ducts are not insulated. it just diffuses the heat too much to be of use. by the time you started getting usable heat (if you did at all) the heat may very well have travelled that far through the living space anyway.

its far better to move the heated air through the living space anyway. ive used small fans to move heat quite easily through my house. the key is to aim away from the stove only with fans mounted high in a room or hall, if the fan is near the floor , aim it TOWARD THE STOVE this helps move the cooler air near the floor back toward the stove to get heated, the resulting vacuum of that air leaving pulls the warmer air up by the ceiling INTO the space which the cooler air just vacated. give it a try , it will definately work better than running your central system.

Saw at Wal Mart last night(Biddeford).....they have Natures Heat(Penningtons)....for 4.97 a bag(same as last winter)...or 247.00 a ton. Not much(if any) difference in price from last winter.

Well me the wife and kids decided to roast some marshmallows over the weekend. So I took about 1/3 bag of pellets and dumped them into my fire pit, half a cup of gasoline and we have a nice fire. Added some of planks from the wooded pallet and we had a hot fire going.

After about two hours we decided to head in so I hosed down the fire with lot of water. Before retiring for the evening I look back outside and the fire was still glowing after all that water. That night we had a “serious” rain storm; lighting and everything, the next morning I went outside and the pellets where still smoldering…. That was something else man I can wait to burn the pellets this winter.

OK so it is now 09/14 have you had a chance to run your pellet stove with the pennington pellets if so how did they burn?

Status
Not open for further replies.