Just had chimneys swept, what a difference between them

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KB007

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Just had both chimneys swept and was very surprised at how much difference there was in the amount of creosote from each. Both units have been run for approx. 4 months of 24X7, the Regency for Mar/Apr and Nov/Dec of this year, the Napoleon downstairs was for Nov-Feb (before the Regency was installed.

Regency I3100
6" stainless liner, straight run of approx. 20Ft
Wood has been about 6 months better seasoned (avg 12 mo.s split and stacked, with about 1.5 cords that was a year and a half s/s)
Creosote amount - about a cup and a half of mostly green powder

Naploleon 1450
6 ft of dbl wall into a clay lined 8" sq chimney, 1 90 and 1 45 elbow, total distance approx 28 ft
Wood was cut/splt last summer so avg seasoning time was 6 -9 months
Creosote amount - prolly 10 cups at least of black grainy stuff

What a difference between the two. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with just how wet my wood was last winter.

For sure the fuel makes the difference. Just wait until you have some longer seasoned wood! You'll be just as amazed at the lack of crap in the pipe and also at the amount of heat you get.

Considering that next winter and the following winter's wood is already stacked, I don't think wood will be a problem. I'll have another log load delivered in Jan as well to keep me a couple more years ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.