Just had to ask!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
On one of my many bike rides around the neighborhood....what do I see? A fella 2 streets over de-limbing a pretty good size pine tree. Roughly 45ft tall and at least 2ft at the base. I just had to ask.....Make a long story short....He will de-limb the whole tree, take away all the branches and cut the whole tree to 18" lengths for me to pick up tomorrow after work. Now I know its pine but free is free, and besides this will be split and sitting for atleast 16 months plus I plan on using it for shoulder and stretch fires. The best part was, he thanked me!.....So here's the tough question...knowing the above dimensions of the tree.....how much do you guys think I will get?

Well, since I'm in the middle of cutting up a 23-24" dbh White Pine right now, I would guesstimate you'll end up with about 2 cord.
I'm looking at about 1.5, but we'll see when it's done. I'm including some large branches too.
The fact that he's doing all but the splitting is fantastic. White Pine is some sticky stuff.
I might try using a bit of this in the spring, otherwise it'll be used next Oct.

Doin' the math in my head here, but if it is 2 ft diameter, that means one ft radius. Pi r^2 is the area of a circle, so 3.14 x 1 x 1 = 3.14 ft^2 in area. 3.14 x 45 ft long = 135 ft^3 in wood volume. A cord is around 85 ft^3 of solid wood, so you might have a cord and a half there. I haven't accounted for the fact that it is thinner at the top than at the bottom, but I'd still guess between a cord and 1.5 cord of pine. Nice scrounge!

2 ft tree is a cord tops.

SolarAndWood said:
Agree, also a heck of a deal ready to split. Can't possibly go wrong for that. Nice scrounge! A C

SolarAndWood said:

+2

There are plenty of tables online showing the estimated amount of firewood using DBH (Diameter at breast hieght) as a gauge. 22" DBH = 1 cord.

SolarAndWood said:
Yeah, I'd guess 3/4 cord.

Regardless of how much, that is a nice find close to home.

Status
Not open for further replies.