Just HAVE to have?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A trailer so you can transport more at one time.

One of the best investments I ever made (especially since my truck gets 12mpg and wood ain't always within a mile or two). It is GREAT for a nice scrounge.

Several felling wedges. Awesome to keep a cut from pinching up when bucking on the ground.

I have those and a 4lb sledge every time I take my chainsaw out. Even if most of what you cut is deadfall, delivered logs, scrounge, etc......I have used my felling wedges 3 times to drop a tree, but several times to finish a cut on a suspended log (bucking).

Just picked up a can't hook today.

I am late to this or I would recommend a woodchuck quadtool (cant hook/peavey, timberjack, log holder, and post puller all in one). I posted about this not long ago, and I love it more every time I use it.

Er...well iced beer of choice for afterwards!!
A must have:)

One of the best investments I ever made (especially since my truck gets 12mpg and wood ain't always within a mile or two). It is GREAT for a nice scrounge.

I have those and a 4lb sledge every time I take my chainsaw out. Even if most of what you cut is deadfall, delivered logs, scrounge, etc......I have used my felling wedges 3 times to drop a tree, but several times to finish a cut on a suspended log (bucking).

I am late to this or I would recommend a woodchuck quadtool (cant hook/peavey, timberjack, log holder, and post puller all in one). I posted about this not long ago, and I love it more every time I use it.

A must have:)

I'm not a drinking man anymore. Lets just say the bottle let me down more than once.

I've got a Polar 1500 HD trailer for the Pioneer. That's one wood haulin, rough terrain, handling trailer. 22 cubic feet plus the pioneer bed. It's close to a truck load in by short box F-150.

Reactions: WiscWoody
Ibuprofen. And tow straps. Like 'em better than chains

Pickeroon is nice fo sho...move and adjust logs on ground un pile etc...pick up splits...def a good cant hook....the are indespensible when buckin large logs on the ground..100x X27...coupla wedges...small trailer...u just about got it covered...have fun and be safe...

Ibuprofen. And tow straps. Like 'em better than chains
Being an iron worker, I prefer a good Crosby sling. With CHOKER hooks. Not binding hooks. Binding hooks are bad news for pulling and picking. You have no bite on the load. The only bite is on the binder hook and the link. I run several 20 ft Crosby chains all with the choker hooks. 10 times better than nylon. Nylon straps break down in sunlight and oil. Two things synonymous with wood cutting. Plus, I've yet to pull a chain sling apart. I've busted two nylon straps.

Reactions: osagebow
Maybe it's been said before? A woods porting job. I'm getting one done on my 390Xp from some of the money I saved on propane this year from Tree Monkey a few towns south of here.

Being an iron worker, I prefer a good Crosby sling. With CHOKER hooks. Not binding hooks. Binding hooks are bad news for pulling and picking. You have no bite on the load. The only bite is on the binder hook and the link. I run several 20 ft Crosby chains all with the choker hooks. 10 times better than nylon. Nylon straps break down in sunlight and oil. Two things synonymous with wood cutting. Plus, I've yet to pull a chain sling apart. I've busted two nylon straps.
I hear ya on the nylon tow stuff, dang things snap all the time even brandnew, little too much shock and they are toast.

I didn't see it mentioned; Firewood moving dolly...the furniture-moving style dolly with a cradle to hold splits.
I didn't think I needed one because I have a quad+trailer, but bought it anyway because it was on sale at Menards for ~$40. (RT brand I believe)
Turns out, it gets used all the time! Its nice for if you have a wood stash in the backyard that isn't the easiest to get at, or don't want to tear-up the grass with a 4 wheeler.

In that case, I would probably use a pulp hook........

Now I'm down a hundred bucks since reading this thread, lol! First I got some of the firewood grippers listed above and then I started looking into some of the hookaroon/pickaroons and found a 30" Nupla pickaroon on eBay for a better price than I could find elsewhere so between those two items and getting my saw ported I better cool it for a few weeks anyways!

Last edited:
Well, dang I just had to have a set of these! I'm hoping they'll help me get my scrounge out of the woods easier!
Northern Tool has some sweet log handling tools too. Got some cool brush handling and grapples.

Don't tell me! Lol, I just got there master catalog in the mail! When I lived in the Twin Cities I was a Northern Tool Junky! What a great man cave!
Maaaaan that master catalog is awesome. Work used to have one in the break room. But idk what happened to it :rolleyes:

image.jpg
I'm not a drinking man anymore. Lets just say the bottle let me down more than once.

I've got a Polar 1500 HD trailer for the Pioneer. That's one wood haulin, rough terrain, handling trailer. 22 cubic feet plus the pioneer bed. It's close to a truck load in by short box F-150.
I have Polar ATV trailer also but too bad I didn't know they offered the 1500 lb model at the time I got it! But my 1200 lb 15CF one is a great trailer indeed! It was a Northern Tools score...lol! They make side rails for those trailers.... I just HAVE to have me some of them I spose!

Edit: Here is a image of them I found on Northerns site. This is the trailer I have but I'm sure they make them for your trailer too.

Last edited:
I have Polar ATV trailer also but too bad I didn't know they offered the 1500 lb model at the time I got it! But my 1200 lb 17 CF one is a great trailer indeed! It was a Northern Tools score...lol! They make side rails for those trailers.... I just HAVE to have me some of them I spose!
That tandem axle on the 1500 is awesome. Ill cross ditches, go over logs, run across wash outs and it keeps load level and bounce free.

Status
Not open for further replies.