Just how good are the old Whitfields?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drtnshtr

Jan 26, 2008
Ohio
I have an Adv 2-T that was made in I believe 1990(not at home right now to see for sure)...I received this stove from a co-worker (for free) because he wanted a small propane stove...he bought this stove brand new back in the 90's ( he gave me receipt) and paid nearly $3K for this thing...He had this stove in an addition he had built on to his house and said he only burned this stove occasionally for "looks"...by the condition(like new) of the stove I would say that was not a lie...I have a 1500 sq ft cape cod...I do have to use a fan or 2 but its -5 degrees here today and this stove is on #3 out of 5 and my first floor is 75degrees and its 70 on the second floor...uses 1 bag/24 hrs on #3.....anyway I didnt start this thread to brag but rather to see if this is the norm for these whitfields...with parts being readily available for it I am thinking about selling my VC Reliance and trying to find another whitfield....

Sadly my best friend past away in July...His wife is trying to get rid of all his stuff (it's to hard on her).....he has a Whitfield from '93 I believe.....I'm going to buy it off of her for 250.00.....I 'll throw it in the basement(1000 sq ft)....And hope it heats my downstairs....

Sorry to hear about your friend :( Im sure it will do a fine job in your basement...

Thanks Dr....is your Whitfield gel start?

It is totally manual...I do use the gel to start it...

i have an advantage II insert.....awsome stove, very simple.....often however....the low limit switch will give out causing great frustration.....once its changed ($45) life is great....

boobou69

I think this is the best stove out there. I have 3 Advantage, I've worked on a number of stove and I feel this is easy to repair and maintain. Just make sure you use a surge protector. I still think it's the number one selling stove of all time..

I think you are right mr. whitfield...you have made my decision easy..I am selling or trading my beautiful VC Reliance for a whitfield...Now I just have to find one :)

My Advantage Plus Insert stopped working this morning......It will not feed any pellets into the firebox. I purchased the stove back in 1998 for $2400. This is the first problem I've had with it. The augor may be jammed...who know's.

Cincinnati Kid said:
My Advantage Plus Insert stopped working this morning......It will not feed any pellets into the firebox. I purchased the stove back in 1998 for $2400. This is the first problem I've had with it. The augor may be jammed...who know's.
I would bench test the auger motor to make sure its working first...

Could be the pressure switch. Bench test the auger, check the pressure switch could be clogged ( the tubing from the exhaust).

Status
Not open for further replies.