Just how much in 100ft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forvols

Dec 6, 2007
NORTHEAST TN
Give an average size split how much fire wood do you think is in a 100ft X24in (dia) straight tree. These particular trees are tulip poplar.

stacked and dependping on who is stacking close to a cord.

Cut one to the length you want it, stack it and then measure. For sure it will depend upon the length. Most cut 16" long and some cut up to 24" long. This can make a difference because you lose some wood every time you make a cut.

Would you like to make it easier? Cut a 4' length and then buck it to the right length, split it and measure the cu. ft. and divide by 128. Easier yet? Cut one firewood length, split and measure. Easier yet? Just guess.

Well, technically assuming it is 24 in in diameter for the whole 100 ft. You can just figure volume of a cylinder

100x1x3.14=314 cu ft of wood.

I think I have heard there is 80 cu ft of wood in a cord (solid wood no air). So. . . it would work out to 3.9 cord. But that seems high to me. Perhaps I am doing my math wrong.

t

If the tree is 100 ft tall, the straight trunk is probably 50 or 60 ft (Tulip trees, for those who aren't used to seeing them, are often very tall with a remarkably straight trunk). The base is 24", and 60 ft up it is maybe 12", for an average of 18" diameter, or 0.75 ft radius. That means the average cross sectional area is 0.75^2 x pi = 1.76 ft^2. 60 ft x 1.76 ft^2 = 106 cubic feet of wood in the trunk alone. A cord has around 85 cubic feet of solid wood (of course stacked up and split, the 85 cubic feet of wood takes up 128 cubic feet of space), so each trunk has 1 1/4 cords. There are probably some large branches on those 100ft Tulip Trees, so maybe another 1/2 cord in the branches? I estimate it is at least 1 1/2 cords per tree, to be conservative. Could be more.

Status
Not open for further replies.