Just how much wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2009
Mid-Michigan
I am new to the wood burning scene and have enjoyed this forum alot.
I had a Hearthstone Tribute installed about 4 weeks ago and am pleased with it.
I have been cutting wood to get thru this season and trying to get next years in to get it drying.
The question I have is how much wood do I need to make it thru a heating season in pickup truck loads (easier to understand then cords)
some background info: I live in mid Michigan, 1400 sq ft ranch, my tribute heats my whole main floor. burns 24/7, wood most likely used for next season elm and cherry.

12 good pick up loads just my 2 cents..

I say you want to get ahead of the next 2 years. That means this will be your busiest time ever. Once you get ahead it will be like most things easy to stay ahead. Get organized and allocate different storage areas now so it will be easy to add without mixing new with old.

I don't see how "pick up loads" is easier to understand. What kind of pickup? How are you going to load it, stacked or thrown? How high above the bed sides are you going ? My F450 long wide is going to haul way more than my buddies Tacoma..

But a cord is ALWAYS a stack of split firewood = to 128 cubic feet. 4'x4'x8' is the most common stack to measure. Now I personally don't stack in exact cord stacks, because I stack in the woods along my yard. But a face cord is a third of a cord, (because most peolpe cut firewood at 16" length, and 16" goes into 4' three times) so a stack, between trees that is 24' long by 4' tall is a cord. I have several stacks about that long.. dang trees just aren't where I need them sometimes..

+1 from smokinjay, 12 pickup loads this summer and again the following should do it.

smokinjay said:
12 good pick up loads just my 2 cents..
I agree with smokinjay. Assuming at least 1/3 of a cord per load, 12 pickup loads will get you close to one year's worth of wood. Then double and triple it to get 2 or 3 years ahead. After that you only have to process one year's worth of wood every year to stay ahead of the game.

Since the stove is undersized for your sq ft-age 18 PU loads full burning on the hot side should do it. Or 6 real cords.

I'm in Michigan and have burned about 3 full cords since Nov. which would probably be roughly 9 pick up loads. I figure 5 cords a year is a good guess so 15 pick up loads. As others have said a cord is a lot easier to understand then a pick up load since a cord is a cord is a cord.

Just get started getting some wood stacked up.
The bug will get inside you & you want more.
Then you look at the pile of nice stacked wood, & think almost enough. which
makes you get some more.
You are almost there, but, now that you have "the BUG", you can't help yourself, see a down tree in your area,
you stop & volunteer to cut it up & haul it away for free.
In 2 seasons you'll be ahead of the game, & almost wreck when you see someone cutting up a tree.
You'll go for drives on real windy days just hoping.

So just get started, what you get will NEVER be enough.
Warning: "the bug has no known cure"

My old stove burned 8 - 9 cords/ year.
New stove, I'm not sure but I know it's less. I'm guessing 5c, but need a few full seasons of burning to get a figure.
I never have "enough" wood, even if/when I run out of room, I'll find someplace to put it. LOL

I understand where you're coming from with the pickup load.I have a f150 supercrew and it has a small bed.See how long it takes you to burn thru a bed load and figure twice what you think for next year.This man made global warming seems to have the winters working overtime.

I know there a lot of variabes in my question and I don't expect an exact answer. I was looking for a general idea how many trips to the woods I could expect.

Dwayne, whereabouts are you in MI? We live west of Chesaning. We used to burn 6 cords or more each winter until we installed the Fireview. Now we burn 3 cords per year.

The next time you load your pickup, stack that wood separately when you get home and then measure it. Length (feet) x width (if 16" that is 1.3 feet) x height (feet) gives cubic feet. Now just divide that into 128 and you'll see what you have in cords. Or, just measure when you have all the wood gathered. If you keep track of how many pickup loads you hauled, you have it.

I think an average burner here uses about 4 cords, or about 12 pickup loads per year.

The Tribute is a cute little stove. I'm considering adding one for my living room. With a firebox that small and burning at its rated efficiency, I doubt you'd be able to push 4 cord of hardwood through it if you worked at it full time. I'd agree with everyone else that there are roughly 3 mounded up full-size pickup loads to a cord. I'd say you'll use 9 loads. With white ash, cherry and elm, I know you can stop at 9 loads. They will give up most of their free water within weeks and will be in fine shape for next season. If you go to woods like oak to get longer burns out of your little gem, you had better get 9 loads of cherry and elm for next year, plus 9 more of oak for the year after. Maybe less, because the oak will burn a lot longer in your stove.

snowtime said:
I say you want to get ahead of the next 2 years. That means this will be your busiest time ever. Once you get ahead it will be like most things easy to stay ahead. Get organized and allocate different storage areas now so it will be easy to add without mixing new with old.

That's all well and good but who really does it? And I don't mean "who really claims to on Hearth.Com?"

A better strategy: If you buy wood, buy right now for next year.

Or

If you insist on free firewood (like me) then be ready and willing to cut firewood anytime it's available.

Bigg_Redd said:
snowtime said:

That's all well and good but who really does it? And I don't mean "who really claims to on Hearth.Com?"

I guess the smart folks who can - I'm awaiting a 12 March install of my new stove and focused on putting up wood during the past year - with this week's scrounge loads, I managed to c/s/s 19 cord so far. No to sound harsh, but the reality of NEEDING seasoned wood needs to set in with wood burners - perhaps a pain for some to get 2 or 3 years ahead, but better that the pain of burning poor quality wood on top of the work of getting the wood in the first place! Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
I guess the smart folks who can - I'm awaiting a 12 March install of my new stove and focused on putting up wood during the past year - with this week's scrounge loads, I managed to c/s/s 19 cord so far. No to sound harsh, but the reality of NEEDING seasoned wood needs to set in with wood burners - perhaps a pain for some to get 2 or 3 years ahead, but better that the pain of burning poor quality wood on top of the work of getting the wood in the first place! Cheers!

I don't disagree. I'm just saying no one does. Plenty of people get a year out, but 2? That's rare company.

Bigg_Redd said:
NH_Wood said:

I don't disagree. I'm just saying no one does. Plenty of people get a year out, but 2? That's rare company.

I see a chance for and interesting poll thread - 'how many years ahead are you in wood?' - would be neat to see the distribution of 1, 2, 3, 4 or more.....year ahead folks on Heart.com. Well....okay, I'll try to do it now! Cheers!

CAD.... Will Kick-in.
You'll have enough wood to heat your whole neighberhood.
What do you think of the Jet"s.... Your Mind Will Be .....I Need 12 More Cords...
How Did You Like Todays Sermon...Your Mind Will Say . That was a pretty cherry tree in front of the church...should I cut it down??

Final Stage Of CAD..

God Has 30 year seasoned Red Oak.... Let Me Grab My Chaps!!!!!

Bigg_Redd said:
NH_Wood said:

Big Redd, perhaps it is time you get your head out of the sand. What do you mean when you say, "I'm just saying no one does."? Perhaps no one does at your house but that certainly doesn't take in all wood burners. But it does seem you do think a few have 2 years ahead because you say, "That's rare company."

I was going to tell you to look at the poll but then remembered you wrote, "That’s all well and good but who really does it? And I don’t mean “who really claims to on Hearth.Com?” So you don't believe those "claims". With that attitude, why are you even posting or reading other posts. It sounds as if you don't believe what you read! What about one of the moderators who cut up over 40 cords and filled his barn? What about some of the pictures that have been posted here on hearth.com

I'm a bit sorry for this post as I don't like to put people on the spot very often but your post was completely out of line. If I am out of line then I invite a moderator to delete it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Bigg_Redd said:
NH_Wood said:

Big Redd, perhaps it is time you get your head out of the sand. What do you mean when you say, "I'm just saying no one does."? Perhaps no one does at your house but that certainly doesn't take in all wood burners. But it does seem you do think a few have 2 years ahead because you say, "That's rare company."

I was going to tell you to look at the poll but then remembered you wrote, "That’s all well and good but who really does it? And I don’t mean “who really claims to on Hearth.Com?” So you don't believe those "claims". With that attitude, why are you even posting or reading other posts. It sounds as if you don't believe what you read! What about one of the moderators who cut up over 40 cords and filled his barn? What about some of the pictures that have been posted here on hearth.com

I'm a bit sorry for this post as I don't like to put people on the spot very often but your post was completely out of line. If I am out of line then I invite a moderator to delete it.
+1 I burn 10 cords a year and still 2 years ahead right now and will be shooting for the 3 year mark by May 1st. its the only way to get the best firewood you can get....Thats what its all about isnt it?

Bigg_Redd said:

I'm a first year burner and I'll have about 10/11 cords left after this season so I'll be two years or more ahead. I plan to cut 4 or 5 more cords this spring to put me three years out. I think a lot of people are two years out or better on this site.

Backwoods Savage said:
Bigg_Redd said:
NH_Wood said:

I felt the same way Dennis, when I read that. I just shrugged my shoulders, it takes one to know one...............

Backwoods Savage said:
Bigg_Redd said:
NH_Wood said:

Another +1
If I'm going to go to the trouble to do all this work only to have crappy wood to burn, then damn, that just makes no sense to me. Quite a few here have newer stoves. I don't, but I found VERY EARLY on that the wood needed to be dry, even for my "smoke dragon". So, you either buy enough in advance to get it dry (however you choose to get that done), you scrounge enough (if you can), or you just keep burning wood that makes your life miserable, or at least less than fun.
I understand that some just don't have the room or resources at certain times, but for me, I made the sacrifice to get it DRY.
Doesn't make me any better than others, just maybe less tolerant of crappy wood.
Did that for 2 years. If I can help it, it won't happen again.
Only time will tell.

Hi -

I'm in the same latitude. Heating 2K square feet. About 4 cords. Or 16 p/up loads. I like to keep 2 years on hand.

I saw someone joke about cutting trees off Church propery.... I have cut many trees off the local churches. Some I wanted, some they wanted or neeed down. I probably loose on the ones they want down due to the brush and the clean-up. But I score nice trees more often, and connections for more.

ATB,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.