Just installed a damper - what a difference

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zr2yz125

Sep 28, 2009
The SMOKIES of TN
Well after burning my new stove / chimney a time or two, I knew something was wrong. I was going thru wood like crazy and it would take 3 hours for the stove to really start throwing heat. With 30+ feet of chimney running up the middle of the house, I figured it was time for a damper!

I got one of the $10 dampers and drilled my double-wall connector pipe about 5" up. Put it back together, fired it up and WOW! After getting the fire going good and strong I closed the flue damper way down and it started throwing the heat. I burned 2 good splits all evening and it was 70 deg in the room (and its a big room). I now see what you guys refer to as the "light show" when the secondary lights off. Even the wife and boy were both impressed!

I am still getting the hang of this thing, but that little addition seemed to make all the difference!

Yep, some people have such a strong draft that the damper makes a world of difference.

Glad to hear it worked !

pen

Welcome to the club...someone will be around to show you the secret handshake.

Funny - just posted a question about whether it was worth installing a damper in a new install today - your experience is helpful - I'll be putting one in! Cheers!

... My draft was so strong it would cause my stove to whistle!

And I didn't think we were supposed to talk of the handshake

Flue damper added some extra control on really cold nights. My mistake-I placed it at a section of telescopic pipe that now I can't telescope when I need to dismantle for bottom-up cleaning. I'll remedy that in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.