Just Installed a New EKO-LINE BOILER - Front Fan not comming on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RDabate

Sep 14, 2008
Ellington, CT
Hi Guys,

I just had a new Orlan EKO-LINE BOILER 25 installed. I don’t think it’s working right yet. I tried starting everything last night and I can’t seem to figure out the controls. I followed the directions, but I don’t see the front fan coming on at all. It doesn’t seem to be maintaining a temperature. I’ve tried setting the temp to 180. The display reads (170-). I believe it should be reading (180F), if it’s working correctly. Does anyone have a similar unit?

Rick

Before you build the fire set the temp to 180 and push start. Did the fan come on? It should. If not check wires at back of controller. And do you have a copy of the functions of the controller?

Well that was simple. Apparently I didn't press start. The display was down to (165-), but after pressing start, it now says (165F). So if I understand this correctly, now it should attempt to control the temperature and bring it up to 180F?

Kipstr said:
Before you build the fire set the temp to 180 and push start. Did the fan come on? It should. If not check wires at back of controller. And do you have a copy of the functions of the controller?

Unfortunately, I already started the fire hours ago. In my research, I kept finding suggestions to check the wires as you said. But I just can find where those are. Is it in the back of the boiler itself or behind the controller display box?

No, I haven't seen the fan come on yet. I took the front cover off to verify. Id didn't make any changes to the default settings on the controller. The only thing I did was set it to 180.

Next step is to check the connections on the back of the controller. Do you have your circ pump wired to the controller? If so when you turn the EKO power off it will also stop the circ from running if the boiler water is above 144º ( default )

Turn EKO off ( main power switch on the left hand side of the controller. Pull the controller straight out and make sure the blocks are plugged in securely.

If your fan isn't coming on there is a problem. I would check your power source, I would look at the fuse under the controller first. Until your fan comes on I wouldn't have any more fire in the boiler.

I took the controller out, didn't see any loose connections. Also, on the fan, there were some screws. I took those out and the connections on that were fine as well.

If the fuse was bad, wouldn't the whole controller be dead?

Yes, thats correct. You need to see if there is power to the fan, if there is then you probably have a bad fan. I would try moving the fan by hand to see if its bound up for some reason.

Also check that the fan wires are connected to the right terminals on the controller. A final check would be that the fan is the right voltage. My EKO is Euro spec so it is set up for 230V/50HZ, most of them are. They may have made a mistake and put in the 230V fan instead of the 110V fan. Who did you buy this boiler from?

With the power switch on try pushing stop. Wait a few seconds then push start. That is what I had to do on my first load.

AC-D14 said:
With the power switch on try pushing stop. Wait a few seconds then push start. That is what I had to do on my first load.

I tried that and still no luck.

Also, the wires appear to be in the correct spot, and fan is correct as well.

I would try running power directly to the fan. Push the leads into an extension outlet and see if the fan comes on. If not bad fan, if it does bad controller.

clarkharms said:
I would try running power directly to the fan. Push the leads into an extension outlet and see if the fan comes on. If not bad fan, if it does bad controller.

Yes, I think I'm going to try that.

For now, I need the fire to go out. I had the plummer who set it up come over today and he found a couple other issues with it as well. So I'm going to shut it down and hopefully get it running Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. I'll post back once I get it squared away.

On page 25 of the manual there is a code you can use on your controller to test the fan to make sure it is working.

I'll check it out, thanks.

Superman... are you there...? There are a few of us left here on earth and our very survival is held in the knowledge that your EKO and its fan will survive a re-entry into the atmosphere. Are you back on Krypton... ? .... Superman ... ?

Busy Week!!!

Turns out, the fan was in fact bad! And on top of that, everything was wired incorrectly. The fan is replaced, however the plummer still has to fix a couple things before I fire this baby up. Everything should be good to go.

Once I start the fire, I think I'm going to have a hard time adjusting the outside fan and the internal ones. I've been reading up on it and I guess you really need to tweak it so you don't see allot of smoke, and the gasification process works correctly. Yes, basically I'm a little intimidated.

Superman said:
Once I start the fire, I think I'm going to have a hard time adjusting the outside fan and the internal ones. I've been reading up on it and I guess you really need to tweak it so you don't see allot of smoke, and the gasification process works correctly. Yes, basically I'm a little intimidated.

The information is here on the forum - I had a hard time because of a defect on my stove - it's 4 years old or so but hooked up for the first time now. Set it up to the specs in the new manual, and it should be pretty easy to tune. Don't be intimidated, just ask lots of questions and enjoy the first firing.

Hi guys,

I should probably start a new thread but here goes. I started the boiler last night and it appeared to be working great. I loaded it up at about 9:30PM, then when I woke up at 5:00AM it was all gone and the fuel light was on. So I restarted the fire. But this time the controller is not acting the same way when I started it last night. The code on the front says E1, and then it changes to E3. I can't get it to actually start. Does anyone know what this means?

Scratch that. I pressed stop / start a few times in a fit of rage and now its working. I have no idea what I did. So I guess I'm back up.

I'd like to ask one more question about wood consumption. Is there anything I can do to my seeing either controller for fans to improve my wood consumption?

Superman said:
Scratch that. I pressed stop / start a few times in a fit of rage and now its working. I have no idea what I did. So I guess I'm back up.

I'd like to ask one more question about wood consumption. Is there anything I can do to my seeing either controller for fans to improve my wood consumption?

I got 1 and 3 when I fried my temp sensor But to reset the system you need to shut off the power then turn on and push stop then start to reset the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.