Just Installed Hampton HI300 Insert - Draft Control Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpop

Sep 18, 2007
CT
Hi Guys,

Finally had Hampton HI300 installed today after many months of reading and research on this forum. I was wondering if any other Hampton owners can answer this question.

Is the draft control rod always so hard to open-close. It appears to be rubbing against the fan, to the point where black paint is already starting to wear down to the metal. Installer said this is the way Hampton's are designed and there is nothing he can do. Over time said it will be easier to adjust. Does this sound right?

Any input would be appreciated.

Chris

Mine is not very difficult to adjust, but the paint did wear off very quickly. And I was told the same thing by my dealer (amongst other lies mind you). I'll repaint it here sooner or later.......................

Thanks for the info. I'll try it out for a few weeks and if doesn't improve will call the dealer.

I'm located in Hamden,CT...not too far from you. What dealer did you use?

This shouldn't be an issue. I suspect that the installer was speaking for the sake of it. Contact your dealer and he can get it rectified for you. Worst case is you'd get a part replaced to ease the drag.

It is hard to puch in from the full open position, other than that it is smooth. Enjoy!

I purchased mine from AfterGlow Energy as well. All is well with stove except for the drag issue which is extremely hard to open,close. Other thing not stove related is they dropped a piece of the surround on my hardwood floor and put a few dents in it. They told me to get an estimate for the work and they would take care of it, accidents happen, so can't really get mad. As long as they stick to their word I will be happy.

How long have you had your insert Blue? Are you happy with service you have received so far? I heard bad things about Dean's which is why I chose to go with this dealer, even though Dean's price was better.

Installed this June. They came out to install and they said they couldn't do the full ss reline because of issues with the flue. So they gave me 5' of ss flex up the flue and no blockoff plate (as is required by the manual for a direct connect), just plain old batt insulation stuffed in the damper area to "seal" it. Called back (b/c I wasn't home for the installation) and said it was not acceptable that they not only installed it not to code but not even to the manual. I knew more than the owner about code and manual learned from this site than the owner did. Came back and gave me a full reline (but kinked the liner near the stove connection when they ovalized it). I put in a blockoff plate myself, a difficult task with the stove installed, b/c I wouldn't trust them to drive by my house again. I am not happy and would not recommend them to anyone.

Anywho, the stove makes up for the incompetence. Awesome

CPOP, I looked at my own unit and the chances are that your fan housing is in too far and needs to be pulled back out a little. The rod will probably be rubbing against the guide and if so, is an easy fix.

Thanks for the advice. Mine is rubbing against the fan assembly and the installer told me there is nothing to do to change it. Says this was a manufacturing issue with Hampton and happens to everyone (most likely everyone that HE installs). I will try to pull the fan out a bit more to see if that helps. I know this sounds really dumb, but is the fan secured to anything or can I just pull it forward a bit?

Chris

Nope, if you pull it out the thermostat disc will not make contact and the blower will never kick in. Try flexing it so it feeds thru the blower housing better. Possible use powdered graphite to lube it? If it is really that bad then you have a problem with it. Email hampton on the web site and ask them...I had an issue with the dealer that did my install (heberlings) and they really gave me the run arround. One call to hampton and another dealer finished the install. Hampton is a real class act!!!

Just, gently, push the rod down when you're sliding it and you'll feel a slight weight being lifted.

Status
Not open for further replies.