Just Installed Lopi Leyden

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
drekick1 said:
I want to install the thermostat to the stove. The picture in the manual dosn't show where the circuit board is. It only shows how to quick connect. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Connection is on the control board behind the actual controls. not sure you can get to them from the back even if you remove all the panels. I would UNPLUG the stove, remove the 2 phillips head screws and pull out the controls and attached board. Make sure you unplug the stove, as the board is held off the controls using aluminum spacers. If the spacer hits the side panel of the stove when pulling the board out you will see a bright blue spark and poof. Stove will not work. Don't ask how I know this. Then fish the wire up under the stove, grab it through the hole, and connect to board. Reinstall board, plug stove in and set to auto.
Mike -

Thanks, I just did it. Don't know why they don't just explain it like that in the manual.

drekick1 said:
Thanks, I just did it. Don't know why they don't just explain it like that in the manual.

I agree. I had an Astoria, and I thought the owners manual did a pretty good job at explaining everything......EXCEPT the 'stat connection. They kinda forgot about it.

drekick1 said:

Glad to help, and maybe save you a blown fuse.
Mike -

Mike,
Any other "tricks" you can help me with to get my Leyden burning it's best?

Drekick1,

Read the post about your running out of pellets

When you load your Lopi, do you pour in as much as possible, then hold down the small brass safety shut off ball with your left hand while gently pushing pellets toward the back of the hopper with your right hand, and then refilling?

The hopper's internal shape makes it seem full when there is empty space at the top rear of the hopper.

Ranger

Reactions: maewolf
drekick1 said:
Mike,
Any other "tricks" you can help me with to get my Leyden burning it's best?

Not really, it seems to burn pretty good without much fuss, except on the lowest setting. I haven't got that figured out well and try to avoid the lowest setting as it browns up the glass. I don't use the thermostat anymore.
Mike -

drekick1 said:
Thanks Medreach. Just ordered a ton of Barefoots from Gold Coast. I will play with the restrictor when I get home. I am running on manual right now. Need to figure this out. I don't think I should burn through a bag overnight.

Follow the directions in your manual under "Restrictor Adjustment"....do it just the way they say to do it, and you'll be fine. Remember, you want the pellets that are glowing in the bottom of the burn pot to be wiggling or "dancing" around a little.

I am always amazed at the passion that people have for their stoves. Im really getting into this site! Stay warm everyone.

Keep an eye on your air, and if you change pellets as it varies the quality. Also watch out for the enamel as it can get chipped if it gets whacked hard enough. Our old one was a dirty beast, but it is a pretty stove, we had the same one. Also, make sure your back bricks are the new metal ones vs the brick ones, the brick broke on us after about 6 months.

Hello,

My Lopi Leyden stove is under a year old and I feel like I have had nothing but problems with it.

First the stove flashed on me shortly after it was installed. I think that I have since figured out that the pellets did not ignite at first and when they finally started there were a bunch of them in the burn pot. So now I make sure that I clean out the burn pot if the stove does not light fairly quickly. This was a very scarry experience and resulted in a 911 call. I have no idea if any permanent damage was done to the stove.

I did burn about 20 bags of pellets in my stove earlier in the season. Then the auger stopped working. It took 2 weeks to get the auger replaced.

I just got back to the house and the stove burned one bag of pellets then the auger stopped working again. I got the stove to start again, burned about 2 bags of pellets then the blower cut off.

I called my dealer 3 days ago and sent him an e-mail this morning. I have not heard from him. I fear that I will have another 2 week wait and that the stove still will not be right.

Also after the auger repair, my dealer said that Travis industries said that I had bad pellets and needed to get hardwood pellets. I did buy hardwood pellets, but the pellet manufacturer and the pellet fuel institute said that if the pellets seem compact and their was not a lot of saw dust then the pellets are fine. The owner's manual does not say that the stove takes only hardwood pellets. This is especially a big deal to me because I am a 46 year old female and I have 64 steps leading up to my house. I have already hauled 30 bags of softwood pellets up these stairs and do not know how to get rid of them. I do not have it in me to haul another 30 40lb bags up the steps this year. If the pellets are fine, I want to burn them. That is if the darn stove ever runs consistently. I would be happy to make the pellets that I have available for lab testing of their quality.

Anyone have any suggestions? I really just want a working pellet stove. When it runs I love it. When it was running I cleaned it almost every day. I have tried to do the right things with this stove.

Debra Aaron
[email protected]

I have had my share of problems with my stove but what you have going on almost sounds like a circut board issue. My Leyden will push any kind of pellet thru without missing a beat. Don't let the reps weasle out on you with "must be the pellets" BS. Make them accountable for the preformance of the stove. Once it is working the right way you will love the stove. Keep us posted as to what happens here. Alot of smart folks here to lend a hand.

Well I'm spoiled because my dealer takes issues like this very serious. They would and have been to my house that very day and fixed the problem. I know about how much you probably paid for your stove, and not responding or keeping you informed is not exceptable.

Disappointed said:
Hello,

I did burn about 20 bags of pellets in my stove earlier in the season. Then the auger stopped working. It took 2 weeks to get the auger replaced.

I just got back to the house and the stove burned one bag of pellets then the auger stopped working again. I got the stove to start again, burned about 2 bags of pellets then the blower cut off.

Also after the auger repair, my dealer said that Travis industries said that I had bad pellets and needed to get hardwood pellets. I did buy hardwood pellets, but the pellet manufacturer and the pellet fuel institute said that if the pellets seem compact and their was not a lot of saw dust then the pellets are fine. The owner's manual does not say that the stove takes only hardwood pellets. This is especially a big deal to me because I am a 46 year old female and I have 64 steps leading up to my house. I have already hauled 30 bags of softwood pellets up these stairs and do not know how to get rid of them. I do not have it in me to haul another 30 40lb bags up the steps this year. If the pellets are fine, I want to burn them. That is if the darn stove ever runs consistently. I would be happy to make the pellets that I have available for lab testing of their quality.

Anyone have any suggestions? I really just want a working pellet stove. When it runs I love it. When it was running I cleaned it almost every day. I have tried to do the right things with this stove.

Debra Aaron
[email protected]
A few questions for you-
When they came out to look at your stove the first time, what did they say was wrong with the auger? Bad motor or what? I'm assuming since they replaced it, it wasn't just clogged with pellets.
What kind of pellets are you using? Are they saying these pellets broke your auger???
When you say you got the stove working again, what did you do? Are the pellets long and are they forming a bridge in the hopper so it won't feed?
Seems like a lot of BS from the dealer. I have to say I am a 52 year old female and hauled 2 tons of pellets through the bulkhead and stacked them, and while I am empathetic to your situation, are you going to get into a pissing contest with the dealer/manufacturer about softwood vs hardwood? I am not saying to get rid of your softwood pellets, but I would go to the dealer and say fine, if Travis says my pellets are the problem, what pellets exactly should I be burning? Buy about 10 bags and see what happens. Sometimes pellets are the problem, and you have to rule out this possibility. If you aren't satisfied with their response, I would tell them you have no choice but to write to the Better Business Bureau.
My last suggestion is to get to know your stove, I mean really know your stove. Read your manual several times, do searches on this forum. It seems like the dealer may be counting on you to be ignorant. I hope you disappoint him.

Lopi pellet stoves like to run hot, so if you are using on a tstat; set 'er up past medium 2 high setting for the auto mode... And the draft adjuster is key, and it can change depending on outside temps, differing pellets, etc. The Leyden ramps its exh fan up and down varying w/ burn rate settings.. there is a lotta air going thru this stove, so adjust so the pellets are "dancing" but not blowing outta the pot while still burning. you should take a look at whats going on in there w/ the draft @ least 1 time a day.
Usual couple time a week cleanings are quick: brush/vac out the firebox, burnpot, but you really should not have to take apart the brick backs or baffle. take the baffle out 1x a wk, the rear and side brick panels/ enclosure behind the panels maybe once a wk or once every 2 wks if using high end pellets.

Hi Everyone,

I just want to let you know that my dealer just left. My problem was a fuse this time. I think this is my second fuse to go. The dealer is checking with Travis Ind. about why I might keep blowing fuses.

I do have to say that once I am able to establish contact with my dealer he is very nice and tries very hard to help me. Additionally Travis Ind. made contact with me and has been very responsive.

Can I also say that I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL OF THE HELP AND SUGGESTIONS THAT I HAVE RECEIVED FROM EVERYONE ON THIS SITE.

My dealer checked my pellets when he was here and said that they have all of the correct industry certifications and look fine. This is big for me because of the carrying the 40lb bags up the 64 stairs.

I am hoping that my stove problems are getting behind me. When the stove runs, I do love it. That is why I get so disappointed when I am up here in the mountains with snow and cannot run it. I also like the green aspect of using the stove.

Hopefully, I will soon be able to change my name from disappointed to thrilled.

Regards all and again much thanks,

Debra

My saga continue... This is the e-mail that I sent this morning:

[email protected]

Gary Webster" <[email protected]>

Michelle Shields" <[email protected]>

[email protected]

Hello Everyone,

Can we please put our heads together and work on figuring out if there is a problem with Potomac Premium Wood Pellets, my Lopi Leyden Pellet Stove Serial Number 2105-000487, the user, or some combination of the above?

As some of you are aware my stove stopped functioning earlier in the winter after I had burned about 20 bags(maybe 30 bags – I did not count) of fuel. Most of this fuel had been the Potomac Premium Wood Pellets that I purchased from Lowes in Banner Elk, NC.

A repair that took two weeks to get completed was performed. The auger motor was replaced. There was saw dust in the auger. I personally do not know how to determine what is an acceptable and what is an unacceptable amount of saw dust. I have used pellets from three different manufacturers and each bag has had varying amounts of saw dust in the bottom of the bag. (Last year Lowes had a different supplier of pellets, I have picked up 10 bags of hardwood pellets at Sounthern States since this repair was performed.) I do believe that there has been more saw dust in the bottom of the Potomac pellet bags than the others, but I am not sure of this. I also believe that a fuse on the motor board was replaced as part of this repair.

Last Saturday I returned to my home and burned a bag of the hardwood pellets in my stove. This bag burned to completion. I then tried to burn a mix that was heavy on the hardwood pellets and had about 15 cups of the Potomac pellets that I had strained for saw dust in a spaghetti strainer. There was not any saw dust from the Potomac pellets in this mix. There was some saw dust from the hardwood pellets in this mix. The stove did not work at first. The auger did not deliver pellets. I removed about half the hopper full of pellets, restarted the stove, and it ran.

I burned the stove with a mix of hardwood and Potomac Pellets for a day and a half. Then the blower stopped working. Smoke was coming out of the stove because the blower was not working.(Not enough to really concern me, just enough to make me think it would be a good idea to unplug the stove) I turned the stove off and unplugged it. The next day I plugged the stove back in and none of the lights were working on the control panel.

The fuse in the back of the stove was replaced. The stove worked. I burned one hopper full of a mix of Potomac and hardwood pellets. It worked fine.

I reloaded the hoper before going bed- again with a mix of Potomac and hardwood pellets. It was a cold windy night in the mountains. I turned the stove on high.

When I woke up in the morning, the stove was off. There were still pellets in the hoper. I cleaned out the burn pot which was full of residue. It looked to me like the stove had likely stopped because the burn pot had residue over the igniter spot. Again I really do not know.

I cleaned out the stove and topped off the hoper. Again I was using a mix of about 2/3 hardwood pellets and 1/3 Potomac pellets. Every Potomac pellet that I put in the hoper had been sifted for saw dust. The pellets appeared to be in good shape, compact, etc.

When I attempted to turn the stove on, the pellets did not feed. I pulled the cleaner of the heat exchanger in and out a few time to loosen up the pellets. I also attempted to stir the pellets a little with a piece from my vacuum cleaner. The pellets still did not feed.

I have since removed about a third of the pellets from the hoper and the pellets still are not feeding. I was able to get some saw dust from where the pellets feed. I am not sure where this saw dust was generated from. To me it seemed like it came from the Potomac pellets. Again I am no expert. I think the saw dust was somehow created during the burn process.

The Potomac pellets carry a premium label and stamps indicating membership in both the Pellet Fuel Institute and the Hearth, Patio, and Barbeque Association. Based on my conversation with Chuck the owner of High Country Chimney who did my installation, these stamps should be an indication of high quality pellets.

After my first repair I spoke to Michelle at Potomac Pelllets. She was quite willing to help me. She was aware that there had been at least one other issue with their pellets from Lowes and that the problem likely came from how Lowes had stored the pellets. She indicated that she would have Lowes deliver 50 bags of fresh Potomac pellets to me and that she would have them deliver them to my door. I thought this was fantastic.

Because Chuck had mentioned to me that there were issues with softwood pellets, I double checked with the pellet stove institute about the Potomac Pellets. The representative that I spoke to at the Pellet stove institute indicated that he was familiar with the Potomac pellets and knew of no reason why I should not use them.

Some how in the translation with Lowes and Potomac Pellets. The delivery turned into delivering 25 bags of pellets from the same stock that I had gotten pellets from before. I already have a spare bedroom with 30 bags of Potomac pellets. I did speak with Michelle again and she indicated that if the pellets did not seem to be full of saw dust or clumpy that she though they were fine.
I choose not to have the pellets delivered.

As some of you also know, I am a 46 year old woman and there are 64 steps to my front door. Carrying down 30 bags of pellets it a daunting tasks to me. This is why I have wanted so hard to burn the pellets that I have. My hope has been to burn through the 30 bags of Potomac Pellets that I have.

I really wish that there was a way that I could figure out if my problems are related to the pellets or the stove(or the user, etc.).

I do have a full bag of the hardwood pellets in my house. I also have 4 bags of the hardwood pellets in my car which in below a hill step hill covered with 20 inches of snow and then up 64 steps. I am going to remove all the pellets from my stove and then try burning just hardwood pellets. I will let everyone know if this is successful.

A reason that I am sharing this information with everyone and will probably post it on the hearth.com website as well is that I understand that there are many new suppliers of pellets and

Continued:

A reason that I am sharing this information with everyone and will probably post it on the hearth.com website as well is that I understand that there are many new suppliers of pellets and there have been issues possibly especially with softwood pellets.

To protect consumers like me. Better information needs to be available. If the stamps from the Pellet Stove Institute and the Hearth, Patio, and Barbeque, association are not enough to indicate what are good pellets, consumers like me need to know. If softwood pellets should not be burned in the Lopi Leyden stove, then Travis Industries needs to put a bulletin out to owners. If I just have a dud of a stove, then Travis Industries needs to replace it.

As I have said before, I am more than willing to make my home, stove, and pellets available for testing. Pellet stove owners are analytical, well educate, and “green” leaning people like me who share information and want to be able to run their pellet stoves with far fewer problems than I have experience. Can we please work this problem to find the root cause.

Regards,

Debra Aaron
828-387-2605
804- 317-0021
804-504-0118

Did the stove stop working again? Did a fuse blow again?

From my experiences bad pellets won't cause the machine to blow a fuse, the caked-up saw dust in the auger area will just clog it up and the auger will eventually bog down and stop - then you will get a fault light. Won't blow any fuses.

You said the burn pot was full of residue (ash). This is usually because of not enough air - pull that damper rod out more. Even when my stove had shut down due to a clog or running out of pellets, the pellets in the burn pot would still burn up and leave hardly any ash behind.

This is what i'd do: Clean the crap out of the stove, take refractory panels out and clean as per the manual, vacuum out the blowers and the exhaust. Speaking of exhaust how is it vented? Maybe that's clogged. Check vacuum tube as per the manual.

After all that, load in a bag of of some good hardwood's like LIGNETICS (green bag) and see how it runs....

Let us know.

Reactions: maewolf
It did stop again. The auger was clogged again. The technician did get it running again. Based on my track record, I am not counting on it continuing to run.

Would you have any insight into how pellets that are strained for saw dust and look whole could turn to saw dust before making it out of the auger?

I am trying some bags of hardwood pellets. I am hoping that they will allow the stove to keep running.

I am in Western, NC and there are not very many sellers of pellets here. The hardwood pellets that I have are from American Wood Fibers. I bought them a week ago from Southern States in Boone, NC.

It seems that different people have different favorite pellets. Have you ever received anything from the manufacturer that has allowed you to determine what pellets are okay and what pellets are not. Every pellet that I have used has been a premium pellet and had the pellet fuel institute stamp.

Travis, Industries does not seem willing to speak directly to me. My personal opinion is that they should speak to me and help me getto the bottom of my stove issues. My stove has not been running more time than it has been running since I bought it.

Thanks

Disappointed. I did a search on Potomac pellets and came up with this thread. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/41513/P22/ If you read all the way to the end, at least 1 member said it was the worst pellet they have burned. Just because it says Premium doesn't mean it's a good pellet. It should, but it's not always true. Sometimes it's also the way the store selling them handled (or mishandled) them and where they stored them. Sometimes the pellets are just junk.
I think you will have better luck with the American Wood Fibers. As far as getting out the sawdust, use a kitchen strainer, pour a bunch of pellets in and sift. over a pan or bucket or something, then trow it in the hopper. Try this for a couple bags and see how that works. You shouldn't have to do this forever if the AWF are decent, but just to rule out other causes for your problems at this point. It is a pain in the butt, but I think you need to figure out if it's the pellets causing your problem or the stove, and this is another way to make sure. Good luck.

Those pellets are probably breaking up into dust while in the hopper, i wouldn't use them. I used some Maine Woods that would do that, you could squeeze one between your fingers to dust. I would clean the stove and get some good hardwood pellets. Got a Tractor Supply nearby? By me they usually have either Lignetics, Premier or their own branded TSC bags.

For me straining pellets is way too much work, I'd assume burn oil for heat.

I am not going to use the Potomac Pellets anymore. I will find a way to get the pellets back to Lowes.

Based on what I feel like I am hearing, they are likely lousy pellets and should not have been granted the industry stamps.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.