Just installed new (to me) harman accentra insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bookpile

Mar 27, 2010
Southeastern PA
I bought a harman accentra insert off of craigslist and I saw it work at the guys house. It's been sitting in my garage over the summer and I just got it installed.

I decided to test it this morning, and to my dismay it works fine but will not shut off. When you turn it to off the distribution fan shuts off but the auger keeps going once or twice a minute. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Disregard, the auger finally stopped feeding after it was in the off position for about 30 min. I'm just surprised the auger didn't shut down immediatley. The manual does mention something about a 36 minute startup cycle. Maybe I was still within that and that was the issue?

bookpile said:
Disregard, the auger finally stopped feeding after it was in the off position for about 30 min. I'm just surprised the auger didn't shut down immediatley. The manual does mention something about a 36 minute startup cycle. Maybe I was still within that and that was the issue?

Harman uses a sensing probe in the exhaust to monitor temps. It's not uncommon, especially when the stove very hot, for the system to keep going for an hour or more until finally goes out.

Ramp up, ramp down. I hope you enjoy your new stove, they are a beauty! Are you familiar with how the controls work?

The auger has to clean out the feed tube before it shuts down, to prevent them from going on fire.
A couple of times I asked my Father in law to shut the stove because I want to clean it when I get home from work, and after 5 minutes he still here's it going he just pulls the plug, he thinks when you shut it off it should shut off, can't expect much from a 88 year old, he is stuck in his ways

It gradually turns feed rate down during shutdown untill exhaust temp gets below 220 or so. then the feeder will stop. All harmans do this.

The ESP temperature has to get to 90 degrees F before a Harman will shut completely off.
If you've got one burning this time of year, it can take HOURS before she'll stop feeding pellets.

DAKSY said:
The ESP temperature has to get to 90 degrees F before a Harman will shut completely off.
If you've got one burning this time of year, it can take HOURS before she'll spot feeding pellets.

Ok that makes a lot of sense since it was over 80 in the house. I'm just glad this project is finally done, we bought the house last year and heated with a non auto ignition Englander that was left in the basement by the previous seller. That thing was a daily struggle. I bought the Accentra for $1500 off craigslist in April, covered over the old brick fireplace with a stone veneer and got the stove installed last weekend.

I am not familiar with the controls, the manual leaves something to desire. Does the "feed adjuster" knob do anything when the stove is in Room temperature mode?

Think of the Feed Rate Adjuster as a 60 second timer.
A setting of "2" will run the auger ON for 20 seconds & OFF for 40.
"4" will run the auger for ON for 40 sec. & OFF for 20. Etc., etc....
As the room sensing probe approaches the temp dial setting, the stove will
automatically cut back the feed rate (wherever it's set) so the stove will not
over shoot the temp dial setting...
The ONLY time you should adjust the feed rate is when you change the brand or quality
of pellet fuel you're using.
Turning it down to conserve fuel is not effective, leave it set between 3 & 4.
The Harman units will simply burn at a maximum (the number setting) feed rate for
a longer period of time to satisfy the temperature you're set at...
HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.