Just installed SS flexible chimney liner. How do I connect it to my freestanding stove?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by WestVirginian, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WestVirginian

WestVirginian
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone--

This weekend I successfully installed a flexible SS liner in my 25 foot masonry chimney. Yeah! Such a sense of relief. My flue has 2 significant turns in it, so I was nervous, but with three guys it only took about 15 minutes of pushing and pulling (had a rope attached to one end). Hard to believe that 15 minutes saved me $1000 I would have had to pay a chimneysweep (no offense to any chimneysweeps out there ;o) BTW, I ordered the liner from chimneylinerdepot.com, and would highly recommend them. 30 foot liner kit (complete with chimney cap, and "T" at the bottom) was $480 with free shipping. They also do local installations (if you happen to live by them), and they have a lot of knowledgeable chimneysweeps to answer any questions you have.

Anyway, now I have to connect it to my woodstove (Jotul 500), which I have ordered. The bottom of the flexible liner is a "T", which is about 12 inches from where the back of the stove will be. The guys at chimneylinerdepot said that I could just use a leftover piece of the SS flexible liner to connect the T to the stove. Does this sound right? Any advice, or better ways to do it?

Thanks for any information. Ian

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Shane

Shane
    Expand Collapse
    Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    Yeah you could do that or a ridgid piece. Just make sure it rises 1/4" per ft.

3. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson
    Expand Collapse

Loc:
    Orient Point, NY
    I would use a rigid piece from the stove to your "T" connector. Not too keen on a piece of flex running to a hard "T", then back to flex. Don't know why, just doesn't sit too well with me.

-- Mike

4. Shane

Shane
    Expand Collapse
    Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    Should be fine so long as the liner is supported and the 1/4" rise is maintained without any sagging. The only other advantage to using a piece of ridgid is that to connect the flex you'll probably need two more adapters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.