1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Just keep the cold beers a-comin'

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by mywaynow, Jun 8, 2012.

1. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    That is a great idea. Right now the entire back of the wall is exposed so the task is quite easy. Thanks a ton for the tip. Will post pics when I do it.
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ScotO

ScotO Guest

You bet brother. That will give you all kinds of drainage.
  3. mywaynow

Loc:
    Northeast
    I did not put crushed stone beneath the fieldstone for drainage. I have built walls all around the property and have experienced little to no heaving damage. Every wall the "pros" build have these beds of 3/4 clean all tamped down tight and flat underneath the select stone that comes on the pallets. That is not in my bag of tricks from either a cost standpoint or a design angle.
  4. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Hmmmmmmmmm...I really can't figure out how you got the name Scotty OVERKILL! Truthfully I wanted to like your post, but since I read you are the most liked, I had to rebel!
    Gasifier and ScotO like this.
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

just for the record, Eaton, I bet I've given out more likes than I have received! ;) This place makes me feel normal again. I used to think I was crazy til I found Hearth.com!!
  6. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I'll like that... BTW, I had to check your total count yesterday...

You are "liked" very much..... :)
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

As are you, my friend! I don't think the 'likes' mean as much as the content being 'liked'. I think it just goes to show you that alot of us think alike in most of our ways. As I said earlier in this post, I feel I finally have a home here with my madness at Hearth.com. Sorry for the hijack, MWN. Back to the rock wall......;)
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  8. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    I didn't read through all the posts (colour me 'lazy'), but that is an excellent example of dry stack stone masonry. Are you a stone mason by chance? BTW, sorry for being the Johnny come lately on this thread.
    ScotO likes this.
  9. mywaynow

Loc:
    Northeast
    Not a stone mason but a fan of stone work. I guess not afraid to try the work either. Built short walls for raised bed all around the house and did the same type of work across 45 feet of the same berm, but on the other side of my driveway. I find myself always focused on the stone work when on jobsites. Sometimes I even get to ask questions!
  10. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Still waiting on those "after" pics, MWN! ;)
  11. mywaynow

Loc:
    Northeast
    Not quite after yet. Gotta get a machine to move some soil. Got the drains is though. Maybe I can remember to shoot that one tomorrow.
    ScotO likes this.
  12. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    Well if you get bored of what you do, you should consider it. There isn't a whole lot of call for that type of work, but it pays well when you do score a contract.
    ScotO likes this.
  13. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Here is a pic of a cemetery wall that we walked past when we were leaving a fair over the weekend. That round stone is so out of place but it looks right if that makes any sense.

IMG_1453.JPG
    ScotO, Billybonfire and ColdNH like this.
  14. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    Looks good. Nice balance of rocks & chinks to fill in.
  15. mywaynow

Loc:
    Northeast
    That is definitely a machine assist or multiperson job there. I would not want a helper unless it was a 30hp kubota!
  16. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    One thing I've always loved about New England (and parts of PA) are those wonderful stone fences. To think that those farmers from the 18th & 19th century dug them out of the ground to plant their fields, then created these wonderful mortarless structures to keep the livestock out, and they are still standing!
    ScotO, hilbiliarkiboi and Realstone like this.
  17. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    I believe they prefer "Asians":cool:
    Gasifier likes this.
  18. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    The large round stone makes that wall interesting. It would have been a crime not to use that stone there.
    Realstone likes this.
  19. ColdNH

ColdNH Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bow, NH
    Great looking walls and I admire the dedication. I love all the old stone walls in New England, especially when I'm walking or hiking in the woods and I pass by one of these walls which is now completely surrounded by woods. Makes one think about the past and how prominent farming was in new england in the past.
  20. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    Asians work well, but after a while they improve the manufacturing to the point that you don't recognize it anymore ;)
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  21. jqgs214

jqgs214 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Riverhead, NY
    My attempt a few years back, still holding strong, all set right in tamped sand, sand is about 10 ft deep, well thats as far as I ever dug.

Attached Files:

22. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    I love it! The beauty of natural over interlock and precast in an application like yours is that it actually looks better with age. The stone acquires a natural 'patina' and hopefully a fine moss will fill in all the gaps.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  23. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    What do you mean, "you used to think I was crazy"? ;lol That is good Scotty. What a comedian.
    ScotO likes this.
  24. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Nice work myway. Very nice. Thanks for the pics. Did you buy that stone? Or is it on your property?
  25. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    We find comfort here in the asylum :p
    ScotO likes this.