Just like quitting CIGARETTES

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
Ok, so you got up and your throat was scratchy and you were coughing when you got outa bed. You stumbled to the bathroom and began to think about loading the wood stove to warm the house........................after all.........the temps outside were supposed to be in the low 30's and there should be that "first frost" you look forward to every year, if for no other reason that to kill off all the mosquitoes.
But this morning, Mr. "Green," you just don't feel like babysitting that stove. It would be SO easy to flip that switch and let the furnace warm things up. You argue with yourself about the essence of the reason why you have the wood stove in the first place, but the ability to flip that switch wins out. "Just this one morning," you tell yourself; "it'll be fine."
Ever notice how flipping on the furnace once and a while, feels like smoking that one cigarette that you really wanted with your morning coffee? Especially since you had done so good at NOT smoking for that last _________ (day, week, month, you fill in the blank).
It's ok friend..........you're just sucking up fuel oil for a LITTLE while..........
-Soupy1957

Have fought with tobacco the majority of my life, but have no problems staying away from the thermostat.

Load that stove up.

pen

I know the feeling. Look at me I'm having my morning hearth.com with my cup of coffee.

I said no dont go on, get out and go to work. Then that voice, you know the voice, c'mon just a quick look, it wont hurt.
And so here I am!!!

I've been using oil to take the chill off in the morning and evening.
It's only Oct. 7th! Your wood has to last all winter.

I usually start feeling that way around march.

infinitymike said:
I know the feeling. Look at me I'm having my morning hearth.com with my cup of coffee.

I said no dont go on, get out and go to work. Then that voice, you know the voice, c'mon just a quick look, it wont hurt.
And so here I am!!!

This is so true. I am a hearth forum addict. I tried to get help from a twelve step program. They said we have face-to-face meetings or online meetings....

soupy1957 said:
Ever notice how flipping on the furnace once and a while, feels like smoking that one cigarette that you really wanted with your morning coffee? Especially since you had done so good at NOT smoking for that last _________ (day, week, month, you fill in the blank).
It's ok friend..........you're just sucking up fuel oil for a LITTLE while..........
-Soupy1957

Never smoked, don't drink coffee, and the thermostat is dead to me.

I'm in the same boat as Pen.

I know I should quit. I've tried many times.

The stove is taking the chill off right now.

velvetfoot said:
I've been using oil to take the chill off in the morning and evening.
It's only Oct. 7th! Your wood has to last all winter.

Thats why I have 5 years worth of heat in my back yard. No need to worry how long it lasts.

I have been tempted to turn on the furnace, I actually did so a couple days ago, then an hour later it bothered me that it was on, so I shut it off and I lit a fire. LOL...

Shawn

I smoked for 17 years...My brother in law got me started when I was 16. I thought,"it looked cool"! I went to visit about a month and a half ago and lit up a cig infront of him. He said, "you still smoke them things"? He said he has not smoked a cig in 7 months. He was using an e-cig. I thought, "you know, I am tired of these things ruling what I do and where I do it"! So I bought 2 actually from a smoke shop and have not looked back! It works very well, way cheaper and I hardly use it.

My aunt has used the same thing for 2.5 years and her doc says her lungs and stuff look great, keep doing what your doing!

I honestly feel better, sllep better, smell better, and the wife like to kiss me better!

The one I use is http://www.cig2o.com/ and it works very well!

PS. the wife thinks we will almost pay off the stove set up after this year, so I am addicted to that!

I flipped the thermostat on this morning to take off the chill. Why bring wood into the house, it's supposed to be 80 this weekend! :)

I smoke cigarettes. .super tough for me to give up....hearth.com no way I'm giving that up...and the thermostat well I have no problem giving that up...

Quit smoking many years ago. It was one of my smarter decisions in life. On the other hand, I have no problem letting the heat pump carry the load until it gets cooler. It's on a digital thermostat and usually I don't mess with it. If the stove is going and can carry the load, that's fine. If not, and the house needs heat, then let the heat pump do its job. That is why I paid for it in the first place.

BrowningBAR said:
soupy1957 said:
-Soupy1957

Never smoked, don't drink coffee, and the thermostat is dead to me.

BB, we are close to the same. No smoking, never liked coffee and I flip out if the thermo has been touched. I have enough shoulder wood for maybe 2 years, not worried about early season fires.
Soupy always seems to come up with great conversation pieces. Haha

I have put up 20+ cord of stacked wood and I flip out when someone reaches for the thermo! We have the wood - lets use it!

Guess I struck a chord with those who (like me) still struggle with cigarettes. Admittedly this thread was meant to be about being tempted by the thermostat instead of a fire in the wood stove, but if ya'll need a confessional for cigarettes, (lol) ...........so be it!

-Soupy1957

No way will I touch that thermostat until we get sub zero temps and that's only to prevent freezing pipes. Fast forward 20 years from now, I don't think it will be any different. I hear that furnace fire up enough during the day as we have a tankless water heater inside the oil burner furnace. I curse ever time I hear it turn on!

Boiler has all of the hand valves shut for the summer still (stops gravity flow) so it's not a simple flick of the switch

Just tossed 4 eco-bricks in the insert and fired her up for the first time of the season, no need to have the house at 62 if I don't need to burn oil to heat it

This is my sixth season with the gas furnace stone cold & collecting dust. Just happened that I could get along nicely without it. And make much better use of the $. (Original plan was to use wood stove as a supplement.)

About a year and a half ago, I thought "self, no more smoking, eh?" So, I stopped. Was only pipe and cigars, but nicotine is still addictive.

If I'm feeling lazy, I can just light an Aladdin lamp for point-source of 3500 btu/h. Knowing it's available reduces need to use it.

I have never smoked, but I do use the electric baseboard heat. I could quit anytime I wanted to. I'd quit right now except its kind of chilly in here but not chilly enough for a fire. Maybe I'll quit tomorrow. I don't have a problem.

I just light another cig and turn on the electric heaters. I know that I have the firepower to heat the whole block when I want to.

I quit smoking cigarettes 11 years ago. My fireview keeps the house warm till morning all I have to do is open the draft and catalyst put a couple of splits in. The thermostat is no problem to ignore.

I'm hoping to make it well into November before I fire up the stove. With a 30NC that is oversized for my place, the propane furnace is best in the shoulder season. I can't load up the stove until I'm ready to commit to some real heat.

-SF

I set the thermostat at 68 and leave it. I burn 24-7. So, it hardly ever runs. BUT, I never know when I will get called away for many hours to an emergency call and I don't want my wife to have to worry about it.

As for the cigarettes, well that's a different story. I smoked for 40 years.....always knew better......but I was seriously addicted to nicotine, AND on top of that, I liked smoking! Then came the accident. Dr. said your back breaks WILL NOT HEAL if you smoke. I love smoking but that only left one choice. So my last cigarette was June 17, 2011, the day of my accident. It has been a tough road!

Man, I'm kinda glad I am not a cigarette smoker. One of my favorite things in life is my pipe. I also like to enjoy a nice cigar every once in a while. I think that if I was a nicotine addict and stopped, then it would mean no more cigars or pipe. As it is, I don't touch my pipe from late spring til early fall, then generally don't use it much in the dead of winter.

There is not much I enjoy more than waking up early on a crisp November morning and then getting a warm thermos of coffee and grabbing the pipe and doing something, ANYTHING, outside in that cool air.

Back onto the original subject, though. I don't mind one bit letting the NG furnace do it's job early in the season. Once the heat is NEEDED all day long, I do get guilty if I don't burn wood instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.