Just need to stack now

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
Finished all my splitting Saturday. This is all the oak my tree guy delivered in two loads. Pictures don't do the size of the pile justice. All hand split (fiskars).

Usually, I split and fill the wheelbarrel and stack as I go. This time, I got lazy and chucked the splits into a pile as I went along. I'd set the rounds up on their sides and split them and my son would throw the splits into the pile. Atleast with oak - I am faster then a splitter. Now I've got to go raid some pallets for a foundation and start stacking.

So I've got this years wood in my attached garage. Next years wood stacked on 15 pallets (finished), and the year after that in this and another pile. The piles are all Oak. This is the earliest I have ever been done for the next year!

I told my wife I'll take a break once I get this stacked...... she said "no you won't" . She's probably right. Feels good to beat the snow!

Attachments

• 101_0665.jpg
    101_0665.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 603
  • 101_0666.jpg
    101_0666.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 602
[quote author="basswidow" date="1324321851"]Finished all my splitting Saturday. This is all the oak my tree guy delivered in two loads. Pictures don't do the size of the pile justice. All hand split (fiskars).

Looks great Basswidow, like I said before on here I wish our lot had some Oak Trees. How many cord do you think you have in that pile?

gibir

I'm terrible on guessing, until I get it stacked. I am hoping for 15 pallets which should yeild 5-6 cords between both stacks. We'll see.

Looking at the pile in relation to the boy standing on top- I would say 2.5 cord. Just my guess.

Nice work basswidow.

Looks great. It's been a great December for getting stuff done outside, the nice days even lined up with the weekends.

Nice pile bass, I say you should really "show off" and stack it on the side hill in the far right side. ;)

Nice work
Looks like you have a great helper too. :)

Nice pile, it sure must feel good splitting that much by hand, hopefully this weekend I'll have a pile like that myself.

This time, I got lazy and chucked the splits into a pile as I went.

Crap I have been lazy all along and disn't even know it!

Steve

That is a nice big pile of splits - have fun stacking! Will look awesome stacked! Cheers!

ratherbfishin said:

Steve

Perhaps Lazy was not the best word. There was certainly nothing Lazy about it! I meant - I was in a hurry.... and didn't take time to stack as I split.

I can't decide if I want to make HH's or straight stack or a combination of both. Being that it's oak I won't need for 2 years, I am not sure I want it drying in a HH. But I'd like it to look nice - since it's gonna be there awhile. Straight stacks will dry it better. It gets full sun and wind on my side yard.

basswidow said:
ratherbfishin said:

Steve

Perhaps Lazy was not the best word. There was certainly nothing Lazy about it! I meant - I was in a hurry.... and didn't take time to stack as I split.

I can't decide if I want to make HH's or straight stack or a combination of both. Being that it's oak I won't need for 2 years, I am not sure I want it drying in a HH. But I'd like it to look nice - since it's gonna be there awhile. Straight stacks will dry it better. It gets full sun and wind on my side yard.

Build one as a holz miete and another in the traditional method . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.