just opened a bag of HD Ultras...LOTS of fines

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timbo

Oct 9, 2009
Concord area, NH
Hopefully this is a fluke...I am pretty new to this whole thing (pellet stoves)....picked up 5 tons of Home Depot Fireside Ultras a few weeks back. I opened up a bag tonight to replenish the stove for the night. Without thinking to look in it, I dumped it in the hopper. This is about the tenth bag I've burned so far and all the others looked ok but this one was really loaded with fines.

I think I'm going to keep an eye open now and I guess if I find more like this, I'll set them aside and bring the bad ones back and ask for replacements (if they'll do that).

They are not a very good pellet. I used them and had clinker big time. Yes they also had lots of fines in the bags. Good luck with them. they are 249 a ton here at HD

I haven't had any problems with clinkers so far and the other bags I've used had very few fines in them. I've heard varying opinions on these...some liked them, others said they weren't that great but then again, I seem to be seeing that on most pellet reviews lately...there seems to be very little consistancy in quality comparing apples to apples (same brand to same brand, bag to bag). I paid $210 per ton a few weeks back.
Hey, live and learn I guess. I'll know better next year when I start looking for pellets for the next season.

I agree with woodsman23,

Not a very good pellet. More ash and scale in the burn pot than I expected. I for one would not religh on these as my cold weather pellet. Nothin more than a shoulder pellet at best.

Glad I only bought 2 bags. I will be looking for something better and I don't mind spending a little more. More heat and less ash is worth spending a tad more.

just my 2.
jay

There ash is even weird.Like a pumice type of ash. I am impressed with the stove chows from HD.Heat around 220-240. Almost zero fines.Just a little dusty when pouring from bag but overall for 225-249 a ton depends when you buy them they arent bad.The only complaint is the plastic bag is a little weak and rips easy

One more reason NOT to buy pellets at a box store. A lot of fines in a bag are either due to being moved and handled too many times, or moisture has been introduced. You have a machine worth probably a couple of thousand dollars, and it's job is to keep your family warm. Why put the cheapest fuel available in it? Unlike HHO, pellet fuel is made by many different manufacturers, with each facility being unique. The big box stores are only interested in pricing, not quality. Buy quality pellets from established sources at off season prices and you'll have less grief and lower maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.