Just Ordered 7 Ton - Home Depot Out Of Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
6 tons sitting downstairs since April.
PLUS you have the GOOD STUFF!! No one is going to look out for number one more than, well... number one! :) My pellets came on a nice 90 degree day in July!

Wow, I was beginning to wonder if I had it all wrong. When propane shot up early this year I said F it, electric has to be cheaper than that! All my stuff is electric except for the propane furnace. After we ran out of propane in Feb, even with 0F temps still, we used about 4 electric space heaters 24x7 and what wood I could scrounge (ran out by that point too) and our electric bill only went up around $100. The last propane delivery was over $500 and only lasted 3 weeks. However the 4 space heaters didnt keep the place as warm as I'd like, but for the money it was well worth it to deal with 58-62F in the house for a couple months. Heck my son was still running around without a shirt every day lol.

Its going to be about the same this year, no wood for the winter. Actually just today bought another electric space heater, the Lasko baseboard-ish heater at lowes with digital control for $44. But hope to get a pellet burner installed next week so think I can keep the place a little warmer in conjunction with the space heaters.
I don't know what your utility charges per kilowatt, but in CT, were are basically the highest in the country - they just asked for another rate incase plus a 50% increase in the 'delivery' charge portion of the bill. On a NORMAL January I can hit $920 - $950 and Connecticut is not nearly as cold as you are. Last January I could have easily gone over a $1,000 - and February as well! Of course without having to say... my house (2,300 sq. ft) would NOT have been 58 - 62 degrees either. (70/72 on the first floor and 64/66 on the second floor would have been more like it.) You have to compare apples to apples!

15K Is alot of money for a system, but I guess it will pay off over time. However, For the original OP all he needs is a multi-zone ductless split between 4-5 K and he can still have the stove for backup, and he would cut his current baseboard heating costs about 50-70% instantly....

15K Is alot of money for a system, but I guess it will pay off over time. However, For the original OP all he needs is a multi-zone ductless split between 4-5 K and he can still have the stove for backup, and he would cut his current baseboard heating costs about 50-70% instantly....
So... still using electricity for heat... them maybe saving $1,000 per year.... say.... so in 15 years it will be paid off! That's one hell of a ROI!!!

Last edited:

Well we needed a new boiler that would have been around 8-9k. Didn't have central A/C we do now that would have been 4-5
K. So the price difference was only a couple thousand from what I would have spent had I gotten a new boiler and central A/C put in.

So... still using electricity for heat... them maybe saving $1,000 per year.... say.... so in 15 years it will be paid off! That's one hell of a ROI!!!
The NEW mini-splits can have 4 separate zones, have a SEER of 22 -24 and put out full rated heat down to -5F so it is far from 'baseboard heat'. Yes electric but a heck of a lot better than oil and there is no duct loss, which can be substantial if the ducting runs in a crawl space or attic. It's the heater of the future once all our pellets go to Europe along with our NG and coal. Of course, once we no longer have coal for our electrical generation, what NG is left for us will be used in the inefficient generators, hence 'Your electrical costs will necessarily skyrocket.'.........

Wow, I was beginning to wonder if I had it all wrong. When propane shot up early this year I said F it, electric has to be cheaper than that! All my stuff is electric except for the propane furnace. After we ran out of propane in Feb, even with 0F temps still, we used about 4 electric space heaters 24x7 and what wood I could scrounge (ran out by that point too) and our electric bill only went up around $100. The last propane delivery was over $500 and only lasted 3 weeks. However the 4 space heaters didnt keep the place as warm as I'd like, but for the money it was well worth it to deal with 58-62F in the house for a couple months. Heck my son was still running around without a shirt every day lol.

Its going to be about the same this year, no wood for the winter. Actually just today bought another electric space heater, the Lasko baseboard-ish heater at lowes with digital control for $44. But hope to get a pellet burner installed next week so think I can keep the place a little warmer in conjunction with the space heaters.

Please be careful with electric space heaters. 15amp circuits are not meant to run a 1500w space heater continually. If you do run a heater continually look for one that is low/med/high so you can run it on the lower wattage continually usually 900w or 600w.

What he said. Our backup is a oil filled radiator heater in each room but they are all on separate circuits and never run higher than the 900 watt setting.

I don't know what your utility charges per kilowatt, but in CT, were are basically the highest in the country - they just asked for another rate incase plus a 50% increase in the 'delivery' charge portion of the bill. On a NORMAL January I can hit $920 - $950 and Connecticut is not nearly as cold as you are. Last January I could have easily gone over a $1,000 - and February as well! Of course without having to say... my house (2,300 sq. ft) would NOT have been 58 - 62 degrees either. (70/72 on the first floor and 64/66 on the second floor would have been more like it.) You have to compare apples to apples!

Wow. Yeah are electric rates are fairly cheap since its a lot of coal fired generation plus NG has been at record lows as well. We avoided ac entirely this year and had e bills around $100 for summer. That's including electric water heater, range, oven, etc. (And lots of fans!). In the winter its normal to have 2 space heaters going in the bedrooms at night, and out bill is usually say $175. Last winter with 4 space heaters pretty much 24x7, we averaged $250-275 for Feb and March after the propane ran out. Drafty old poorly insulated 2700sqft house.

Wow. Yeah are electric rates are fairly cheap since its a lot of coal fired generation plus NG has been at record lows as well. We avoided ac entirely this year and had e bills around $100 for summer. That's including electric water heater, range, oven, etc. (And lots of fans!). In the winter its normal to have 2 space heaters going in the bedrooms at night, and out bill is usually say $175. Last winter with 4 space heaters pretty much 24x7, we averaged $250-275 for Feb and March after the propane ran out. Drafty old poorly insulated 2700sqft house.
wow that sux... to have to run space heaters in addition to propane!! Our base electric use (no a/c, no heat) is ~ $150! Maybe you should replace your Jotul with a pellet stove as I did last season! It's awesome not to have to babysit a wood stove every 4 - 5 hours or so! (I have a wife who REFUSED to touch the wood stove, so it was a losing battle to say the least). Now I never have to worry because she has no issue on the rare occasion she ever has to load pellets :)

This year your going to get smarter and order a low ambient temp heat pump for those chilly rooms. The lower BTU versions are really efficient....

wow that sux... to have to run space heaters in addition to propane!! Our base electric use (no a/c, no heat) is ~ $150! Maybe you should replace your Jotul with a pellet stove as I did last season! It's awesome not to have to babysit a wood stove every 4 - 5 hours or so! (I have a wife who REFUSED to touch the wood stove, so it was a losing battle to say the least). Now I never have to worry because she has no issue on the rare occasion she ever has to load pellets :)

The space heaters were used in lieu of the propane, not along with it (we ran out, and price over doubled, so I then switched to just running space heaters). Well except that we ran a space heater in each of the two bedrooms just at night before.

I'm in process of replacing the Hearthstone with the pellet burner in my sig. The Pellet stove is on the porch in the box as we speak and the venting is in the mail. Would have been much harder to replace the Jotul and its a better performer. But we have no real wood for this winter (one reason I got the pellet stove) so its gonna be pellets and space heaters this winter.

Ahhh nice - welcome to the pellet club! You will sooooo appreciate the EASE of burning pellets!! So which pellet stove do you have waiting for you on the porch?

My base electric is $150 too without heat or A/C! You must have as many electrical toys as me plus a constantly running clothes dryer!!! :)

My base electric is $150 too without heat or A/C! You must have as many electrical toys as me plus a constantly running clothes dryer!!! :)
Well, the electric hot water heater sucks up a bit of power, plus the stove/oven, etc. Of course having one of the highest electric utilities doesn't help! (plus they just asked for a rate increase as well (plus almost a doubling of the 'delivery' portion as well)!!!

Maybe we can buy one of the subs Big O's going to decommission and tie it up to feed a town!

Maybe we can buy one of the subs Big O's going to decommission and tie it up to feed a town!
It's sad to think that the "41 for Freedom" are all no longer...

Yep, mine's probably in that steering linkage I just put in the truck! What a shame but my old boat was used up! 631 Grant.

Wow. Yeah are electric rates are fairly cheap since its a lot of coal fired generation.

We have the 7th highest rates in the nation.
And the PUC has allowed the providers to increase the rates beginning in November.
It will cost the average consumer another $40-50 more per month...:mad:

Dan

Yep, mine's probably in that steering linkage I just put in the truck! What a shame but my old boat was used up! 631 Grant.
Madison 627 + Grayling 646 (not a '41' boat... but sad just the same)

And the PUC has allowed the providers to increase the rates beginning in November.

Dan
OUCH!! that several tons of pellets right there!

Dan
"Your electric rates will necessarily skyrocket" Now just go over there and pull the 'D' lever...........::-):ZZZ!!!

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Ahhh nice - welcome to the pellet club! You will sooooo appreciate the EASE of burning pellets!! So which pellet stove do you have waiting for you on the porch?
The one in my sig... Timber Ridge 55-TRPAH (same as Englander 25-PAH). Just a cheapie to get me through the winter. I figure it will pay for itself within one heating season. If I start burning wood again in future it may move to basement (I didnt buy it for looks!).

Sorry to break up the u-boat love in, but has anyone been watching the price of oil? Looking at sub $3 shortly and possibly already found in some areas.

Forget those oil companies as much as they charged me to heat my home last winter it will be a long time before I think of going back to oil I'm in revenge mode they could go out of business and I'd feel no remorse.

Reactions: Drew65
Status
Not open for further replies.