Just ordered a new stove...woohoo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarmsolo60

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2007
Adirondack Mountains
Hi everyone,
I've been checking out the site for a while now and am happy to say i ordered a Hearthstone Heritage today. It will not be my primary source of heat(listed below) but should be a great addition to the house and see quite a bit of use. I'm taking out an gas unit I never use and constructing a new hearth for the heritage. Trying to decide on hearth materials so Ive been looking at alot of pictures. Will probably be online in the beginning of the year. I'll post back with any questions, I never thought i'd get this worked up over a woodstove.

That is fabulous Tarm,

Now I am very curious....What made you go with a EPA non-Cat stove versus a Cat?

BTW.. Heritage is a real beauty! :coolgrin:

Congrats!!

Jim Walsh said:
That is fabulous Tarm,

Now I am very curious....What made you go with a EPA non-Cat stove versus a Cat?

BTW.. Heritage is a real beauty! :coolgrin:

Congrats!!

Either would have worked for me as my old house had a VC Intrepid II Cat stove and I had no problems with it. I heard the non-Cats have a prettier flame and this being in my main room and having a big window in the Heritage I thought it would put on a nicer "show" while burning. Also being soapstone I figured either would give me a nice even heat output. I was also looking for tighter rear clearances which led me to jotul or hearthstone. The Heritage just made sense, If it was a cat stove and still gave me the clearances i wanted I would have still bought it.

Thank you for the well thought-out reply. I didn't realize that non-Cats have a more aesthetically pleasing fire... so I learned something today.

Best of luck and the stove is a real honey!

Jim Walsh said:
Thank you for the well thought-out reply. I didn't realize that non-Cats have a more aesthetically pleasing fire... so I learned something today.

Best of luck and the stove is a real honey!

Depends somewhat on the stove design... The downdraft non-cats such as the VC "Everburn" units, where there is a rear chamber that acts to reburn the smoke aren't much (if any) better for the light show than the rear cat units are - the secondary combustion mostly occurs in the rear chamber where you can't see it. OTOH, the Woodstock cats put their cat up on top of the firebox, and show a lot more light show.

However probably the best light shows are put on by the top tube style non-cats, where they have the secondary air tubes on the top of the firebox sort of like the oven broiler jets in a gas stove... With those units all the reburning takes place in the main firebox, where you can see it through the window. Downside is allegedly somewhat shorter burn times than the same size firebox in a cat stove, but this isn't a big difference. I would say that for a stove that is being purchased as much for its looks as it's performance, the Hearthstone is an excellent choice on both factors.

Gooserider

Congrats, Tarm
Nice choise of stove. I'm sure you will be happy with it. Take lots of pictures of the hearth construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.