Just ordered a Smart-Holder log holder on sale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.

Steve

I'm still a little confused about the two versions of this tool. The green one (as seen on amazon for $99:00) states it holds logs up to 9". The orange Remington states it holds up to an 8" width. Are they really both the same tool that actually hold the same size log or does one really have a larger capacity. Anybody know?

Thanks

The Remington will probably hold larger than 8" logs; the swivel fence is 8" wide, but the opening is 11". The Remington is heavier, weighing 34 lbs vs 27 for the Bailey's. It's natural to suspect that the Remington is a cheap knockoff, but it's not; as stated on the box, it is produced under license of the patent holders. As I said above, this is clearly a distressed inventory sale brought on by the DESA bankruptcy. Think about it; there is absolutely no way these things can be produced and retailed for fifty bucks while giving reasonable profit margins to all parties involved. I'll bet it's less than what Bailey's cost is for theirs.

I weighed the Remington holder on the bathroom scales and it was 28lbs also. Remington holder is made in china. Bailey's says their holder is invented by the Swedish but does not say where it is made. I'll bet there the same holder made in the same Chinese factory just different paint and stickers.

WASAJCO said:
I'm not much of a picture person, here is the link to the European vid:

Hope it helps. I changed the design to use thinwall square tube, all one size instead of the what looks like part rectangular and part square. I also used angle for the legs instead of square tube. Identical paint though! Looks like harbor freight orange. Drilling the holes and then jigging for the welding so the pins and holes line up is the only really "hard" part, just takes patience and thinking through the process. Some folks might not enjoy that part of the build. I needed a drill press, and multiple clamps for that part, so it would all fit together. It worked and It can hold a pine log approx 6+' long and over 12"dia. with ease. Dry of course, wet is too heavy to lift anymore, but the design can take it, but I shouldn't, might rupture my other bicep. :shut:

HAHA, I almost spit out my coffee when right near the end, he decides to blow off a little piece of something. Wouldn't want it getting dirty now, would we? Too funny.

YZF1R said:
Let us know how it works out for you. As I said earlier, I have yet to use mine. I don't have my own woods, so most all of my wood are logs bucked to length and brought home on my trailer to be split. My wife saw it in the Northern catalog and said I should get me one of those. I don't hear that very often. When she says I can get something I get it and I'll worry about what it is later when it arrives.

Steve

Steve, that's funny. Blind leading the blind? Next time might be a toaster. HEHE
Kinda funny too, is that my wife's laptop is taking a nosedive and getting pretty old. I have a Dell acct., so I mentioned new ones. She says, yeah, do that. Hers will be here next Tues., mine the following week.
Where she leads, I will follow, ....as long as it's a tool or computer stuff. :coolsmile:

Sorry, my bad. On an electric shipping scale, mine also weighs 27 lbs. For some reason the UPS shipping label on the box says 35 lbs., and I was going by that.

Here's a question for all you smartholder users. How many logs are you doing per session?
I only ask because when I go out to buck logs, it takes about 60 8'er's on average to get a cord. If I cut in half to load this thing, that's 120 times I have to lift a 4 ft. mini log. Cutting at waist height would be SOOO much easier though.
I DO hate all the bending over to buck on the ground, then moving the rounds into a pile (and there are 6 rounds/8' log, which is 360 rounds/cord).
I dunno' you guys might be onto something here. Man, doing the math, I'm getting tired before I even go out to c/s/s.
I should quit that.

Sorry again, too many things going at once in the brain this morning. I meant, you don't have to cut in half before loading.

precaud said:
Sorry again, too many things going at once in the brain this morning. I meant, you don't have to cut in half before loading.

HAHA, wanna' bet. I've lifted these things to position for cutting. They're heavy. I am no longer the strong virile youth that I may have thought I once was.
Sawbuck might fit my needs better, since I could lift one end up, then slide.
Need to do something to help the back though.

PapaDave said:
If I cut in half to load this thing, that's 120 times I have to lift a 4 ft. mini log...
If you're going to cut them into 4 footers then you may as well buck it all on the ground. You don't actually have to lift the entire log. You can lift one end onto the holder, drop the dog, and then lift the other end to set the dog.

I get my wood in 8 foot lengths and anything I lift goes onto my sawbuck. Lifting onto the sawbuck is more effort than lifting into that holder. Cutting them in half wouldn't work for me as I get 5 rounds out of every log. Stuff too heavy to lift, I roll out onto 3 skids and buck them there. The skids hold the logs up about a foot off the ground so I don't need to bend as much. I shovel out the buildup of sawdust from between the skids.

LLigetfa said:
PapaDave said:
If I cut in half to load this thing, that's 120 times I have to lift a 4 ft. mini log...
If you're going to cut them into 4 footers then you may as well buck it all on the ground. You don't actually have to lift the entire log. You can lift one end onto the holder, drop the dog, and then lift the other end to set the dog.

I get my wood in 8 foot lengths and anything I lift goes onto my sawbuck. Lifting onto the sawbuck is more effort than lifting into that holder. Cutting them in half wouldn't work for me as I get 5 rounds out of every log. Stuff too heavy to lift, I roll out onto 3 skids and buck them there. The skids hold the logs up about a foot off the ground so I don't need to bend as much. I shovel out the buildup of sawdust from between the skids.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Good info.

My boys and I got to try out the Remington holder on some 6"- 8" dead trees and here is what we learned so far:

There is a learning curve with this device but once we figured it out it worked well for us.
Will not hold crooked logs very well because of horizontal movement.
Manual states 3/4 of log/limb length must hanging over support frame and that works well.
Manual states spike frame length must be adjusted to 45 deg so it holds log, and it does need to be close to it.
After placing log in holder need to push down on end so leverage sinks the teeth into wood to hold it.
There is always some horizontal movement of the log but the chainsaw holds and cuts it without problem.
took 2 people to load large logs over 4'-5' long.
Think it will work even better on 3"- 5" logs.

Update: A friend saw mine and was interested in getting one, so I went back and looked. As was suspected, this was a closeout sale and they are no longer available.

Another update. I used mine for the first time today, bucking logs for a couple hours, and I really like it. Very easy to use. Perfect for 90-95% of the logs I gather. Much easier on the ol' body. And equally important, MUCH easier on the chain. Unless you drop your saw, there is no way for your chain to contact the ground. All in all, highly recommended. It's one of those tools you'll wonder why you never got earlier.

A 25" bar keeps you from bending over when bucking on the ground.
Having to keep setting the saw down, bending over and lifting a log,
wrestling it in that contraption and securing it, is for the birds.
It's not only harder on the body, it take soo much longer.
But be good consumers and buy, buy, buy.
Everybody; tweet, tweet, tweet.

kenny chaos said:
My new name seems to be Dream Crusher.
Oh, you're being too kind to yourself. Try.... Jerk. You seem to derive great pleasure from acting like one.

If one organizes the work flow, it's nothing at all like you describe.

precaud said:
kenny chaos said:
My new name seems to be Dream Crusher.
Oh, you're being too kind to yourself. Try.... Jerk. You seem to derive great pleasure from acting like one.

If one organizes the work flow, it's nothing at all like you describe.

You must got's a tooth ache.
Explain to us how you "organize the work flow" so you're not setting the saw down every 30 seconds or so to load
another stick. Please?
It is not for someone with a bad back.

Kenny, so the Smart Holder isn't for you. Big deal. But that doesn't mean you have to trash it. Let it go and move along.

If a 25" bar works for you, that's great. At 6'5", it wouldn't help me much. But that doesn't mean I have to trash it. Besides, a 25" bar on my Makita electric saw would be silly.

Maybe some details about my setup wouldn't work well for someone who isn't as tall as I am. I store my logs in 7'x7'x7' stacks so that little (i.e. normal sized) people can't steal them. So there isn't any "bending over to lift a log" until you get to the bottom of the stack. And my saw never gets put down on the ground, it goes on the chopping block, so I don't have to bend over very far. It doesn't weigh very much, anyway.

Place the Smart Holder in between the log stack and where the splitter goes and the work flow is very smooth. When I was cutting small rounds for the basement stove (that wood is stacked behind the house), I put the wheelbarrow right under the log and the rounds drop right into it as they're cut. No bending over to pick them up like I had to do before.

So that's why I say, this thing has improved my work flow and I'm bending over less using it.

precaud said:
Another update. I used mine for the first time today, bucking logs for a couple hours, and I really like it. Very easy to use. Perfect for 90-95% of the logs I gather. Much easier on the ol' body. And equally important, MUCH easier on the chain. Unless you drop your saw, there is no way for your chain to contact the ground. All in all, highly recommended. It's one of those tools you'll wonder why you never got earlier.

Don't trash it? It was your, "one of those tools you'll wonder why you never got earlier" that inspired me to post.
I explained why it's no good for regular size people with regular saws.
This ain't even your thread. Don't take it so personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.