Just ordered a Tarm!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob b

Jan 15, 2008
Northern NY
Thanks to everyone for providing so much information in this forum. With the rising fuel cost more and more people will be looking for alternatives and this site is a great place to start. Well this is my first post, but I have been reading posts for about a year now. I just ordered a Tarm Solo 40. My boiler won't be available for pickup or delivery until Aug/Sep due to the overwhelming interest. Tarm can't keep up with the demand. So my plan is to install the boiler in our barn which is approximately 100' from our house and tie it in to the existing oil boiler we presently use. I was told by the dealer that I purchased the boiler from that I needed to use glycol to prevent the possibility of freezing. Can't I send heated water back to the Tarm from my oil burner to keep it from freezing? The Tarm will be running all the time during the heating season, but if for some reason I was out of town or otherwise unable to fire the boiler I need a way to keep it from freezing. Thanks again.

Well, since many solar controllers have freeze protection that allow circulation through the panels when temperatures get too low to keep them warm, there is no reason a boiler loop can't do the same thing. However, the problem is when there could be a loss of power, either glycol should be used or a back up power supply.

My Tarm will (current plan) also be in a dedicated shed - just 30 or so feet from the house. I plan to plumb it so that there is a thermostat and a zone in the (well insulated) boiler shed that will call for heat(from the oil burner if necessary) when the temp drops to mid-30's or so. I also plan to run my tarm all winter so most of the time it will not be an issue. I'll probably also put in a cheap-o electric space heater too, just in case.

My underground pipes will be well insulated and as deep as possible to prevent freeze-ups. From everything I have read, the anti-freeze in the system is good thing to avoid if you can.

At my house 99% of the time someone is home - if I was gone 8-10-12 hours a day I might reconsider my plan.

EDIT: I'd also looking around to see if there are any inexpensive thermometer devices that I could install underground at various points along my pipe that would let me know if things start getting too cold to prevent major problems.

Even though I'll be installing mine in an arctic entry (mudroom) attached to the house, I'll put glycol in. My philosophy is to make everything foolproof, that way my "inner fool" will never show his face!

Well if I lived in Alaska I'd probably put a 50/50 glycol solution in my bloodstream...it gets cold here, but not that cold!

Jameson or PBR's do the trick!

Thanks for the input. I do have a generator that could be used in case of a loss of power. I would rather save the Jameson for preventing myself from freezing!

nhjohn said:
Talk to Tarm today and they have the Solo 60 in stock, but it didn't sound like they had the Solo 40. Not sure about the Solo 30

Have you gotten price quotes on the Solo 60 and 40? I priced an Econoburn 150 @ ~$7500 (stove only)....just wondering what the others are going for.

The spring sale price was $7225.00 (discount of $500.00) for the Solo 60. That sale ended May 15th. With the price of steel going up I wouldn’t be surprised if the price is now more than $7725.00.

I just made the plunge too and am the proud owner of a Tarm Solo 60. Steel prices, shipping prices, weakening dollar and demand all mean order soon cause the prices are going up, up, up!

I too thank you all for your advice. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon!

DC

Status
Not open for further replies.