Just ordered an Effecta, boy the wife is gonna be mad

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Bill, what is that small brass fitting you have between the two red-handled valves to the left of and below your blue expansion tanks. Appreciate the pictures. And your's too nrFord. I've already added both sets to my Boiler Installations file.

Mike

Yes I am still on the same o2 sensor and the brass fitting is a screen that you can clean.
Bill

Bill1472

Beautiful install. I'm interested in the layout of your tanks. It appears that you may have installed a diptube in the lower tank to allow the pump/line install between the tanks. Is that the case? Can you show us a schematic?

I'm considering an Effecta 35 with a Laddomat. My layout plans require horizontal install of two 500 gallon tanks, I have some reservations about the horizontal layout as opposed to vertical as the majority of literature information indicates vertical tanks. I assume you had to make the same decision. Have you noted any operational or performance issues related to a horizontal layout?

Too bad we need to cover the tanks. Done right they make a nice appearance. Maybe I'll install a window.

The small brass fitting on the return line from the bottom of the storage tank to the boiler is a 40 mesh screen strainer. we specify these on all of our systems as they will filter out major particles, scale, rust and other contamination before it gets into the laddomat and boiler and then is introduced into the entire boiler system.

We put this strainer on the boiler return line because most particles are heavier than water and will sink to the bottom of the tank.

We also put a ball valve on either side of the strainer so that it can be easily cleaned with minimal time and mess.

Thanks,

Brian

Bill, nice lookin setup. I bet it works as neat and clean as it looks! I would also like to point out that you boiler has the capability of being converted into a pellet boiler ( as seen in the picture with the small access cover on the side of the boiler) A nice feature the Swedes' have built into this boiler for added flexibility.

There seems to be several posts related to the reliability (and availability) of the lambda sensor used on the effecta lambda boilers.

Thus, I am making this post to let everyone know that there are (2) Bosch O2 sensors (for the effecta lambda 35 & 60 kw boilers) sitting on a shelf in a warm warehouse in East Jordan, Michigan collecting dust. For that matter there is (2) of every electrical component on the effecta boiler (fan motors, capacitors for fan motors, temperature sensors, stepper motors, lambda control panels, transformers etc.).

Plese see the attached photos of these "spare parts".

As of now there are 8 effecta boilers in operation in North America and not one has had issues (with either the lambda sessor or other components). In addition, no one has had to "modify" or "fine tune" their effecta lambda boiler as that has been done (on a continuously basis) in Sweden during the 15 plus years the current generation effecta lambda boiler has been on the market.

3 of these boiler have over 2,000 hours of operation.

Hope this helps to clarify things once again!

Brian

Attachments

• PHOTOOFEFFECTASPAREPARTS1.jpg
    PHOTOOFEFFECTASPAREPARTS1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 793
EffectaBoilerAgent (USA/Canada) said:
There seems to be several posts related to the reliability (and availability) of the lambda sensor used on the effecta lambda boilers.

Thus, I am making this post to let everyone know that there are (2) Bosch O2 sensors (for the effecta lambda 35 & 60 kw boilers) sitting on a shelf in a warm warehouse in East Jordan, Michigan collecting dust. For that matter there is (2) of every electrical component on the effecta boiler (fan motors, capacitors for fan motors, temperature sensors, stepper motors, lambda control panels, transformers etc.).

Plese see the attached photos of these "spare parts".

As of now there are 8 effecta boilers in operation in North America and not one has had issues (with either the lambda sessor or other components). In addition, no one has had to "modify" or "fine tune" their effecta lambda boiler as that has been done (on a continuously basis) in Sweden during the 15 plus years the current generationare effecta lambda boiler has been on the market.

3 of these boiler have over 2,000 hours of operation.

Hope this helps to clarify things once again!

Brian

How much does a sensor cost? How long is the warranty?

The warranty on all electrical components (including the Bosch lambda sensor) and the ceramics on the effecta boilers is 2 years.

The MSRP of the Bosch sensor is $262.00.

The Bosch O2 sensor used on the effecta boilers can be expected to last for many years without problems. The sensor requires an annual cleaning with a fine wire brush.

There is also a calibration mode on the effecta lambda boilers that will properly calibrate the lambda sensor if needed.

Finally, the target CO2% can be easily adjusted for different spieves and or moisture contents of wood.

Brian

couple more pics showing the
low water shutoff,
boilermate for DHW
and air scoop.

Attachments

• air scoop.jpg
    air scoop.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 640
  • boiler mate.jpg
    boiler mate.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 660
  • low water.jpg
    low water.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 638
start of the next Effecta 35 with laddermat system," LOL " install with 1000 gal
storage tank, in my daughters house. looking at using a plenum in the
forced air system, to be followed up with PEX in floor heat. will post more pics
as we go.

Attachments

• tank on lift.jpg
    tank on lift.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 617
  • tank on trailer.jpg
    tank on trailer.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 618
Is that galvanized pipe in your system?

Gg

I have a small amount of galv in my system, as to the question about the dip tube, I will get some picks soon.
Bill

Update..
Yesterday I finally (after a long wait) picked up my Effecta Lambda 60kW boiler...

This boiler is absolutely astonishing. It is a work of art. The quality and craftsmanship put forth in the design, build/construction of these units, all the way to the paint used and packaging to ship, is first class. There is no doubt this is a unit built to last.

Pete Schiller said:
rpmm70 said:
Come on Effecta owners, give us some feedback on these wonderful boilers. I am sure many of the people on this site would like to hear about them.
I've spoken to two Effecta owners who have their systems running, one with a 35kW in Michigan and the other a 60kW in New Hampshire. Both of them had nothing but great things to say about their systems. I don't know whether they spend time on Hearth.

Hopefully someone will chime in, but if not, I'm sure that Brian could provide you with some references whom you can contact.

I have been doing alot of research and have decided on Effecta. I have spoke with other Effecta users aswell in the US and in Canada. Nothing but good things to say. I looked at many options, Tarm, Froling wood and P4, Garn, EKO etc.

I will be finalizing my order tonight with Brian, it a bit trying since I am in ALaska and the 4 hour time difference. I decided on the Effecta based off word of mouth experience, price, size and configuration, and also becuase I wish to burn pellets and wood.
I am putting in 2-500 gallon tanks and 1-300 gallon tank, for pellet operation I will use the 300 gallon and for wood use it will incormporate the whole 1300 gallons.

Brian has been instrumental in my research and also very patient and willing to talk about other products in a refelctive and positive manner. He never once tried to bad mouth any other company. He was very supportive in helping me design as system meeting my wants and I am sure will be there for assistance thorugh out my installation.

Regards, NP Alaska

Sounds like you got things sorted, NP. Well done! And your experience with Brian mirrors my own--even though I am still deliberating. Will be interested in hearing how your system works out.

Barrett

35kw

OOps, let me clarify a bit.

I have 4 buildings, home, shop, two business buildings. I am doing things in phases as the cost is...well lets just say I aint RIch! Lol

I will be putting this systme I am finalizing today in the house attached garage seperate from the rest. I will put a simple pellet stove in my small shop. And next year I will put in the Effecta 60KW with 2000 gallons in one of the business buildings feeding both buildings.

Sorry for the confushion

As I rule my plan is to burn pellets in house 85% of the time. and running wood in the warmer months to heat DHW ranging over 3-4 days between burns.

This leaves me one gasser in the business that will be a soley wood based system. I have planned for 2000 storage to aid in extended heating cycles. I am thinking of a buffer tank in the other building with 1.5" lines btween storage and buffer tank. Utilizing a VDT style pump so as not to rob the storage tank prematurely just to keep lines from freezing. The lines underground only encompass 40-45 feet and will be at 4.5 feet depth. I will have plenty of time to work out this syttem and howit will operate.

As for shop I am taking it completely off the sytem and installaing a standalone pellet stove out there. I keep it about 40 degrees in the winter and can always turn it up when I am out there. Figure to clean ash on weekends. from both systems. Much less time than I currently spend tending to my wood situation with the outdoor bioler and the cleaning of ash is inside work. YEah..

Feel free to chime in if I can make my transition better, I definatley invite asssitance.

Regards,

Fantastic NP!!!! That's great to hear! Just got mine up and running a couple nights ago and holy s#*% my house is warm! Ha I was stoked before, but now it's in and running I'm completely super stoked, tired of the gas man stealing my money, and tired of pissing around w wood stoves... Effecta Lambda 35kw makes it almost too EASY.

The wrong kind of system can do you like a bad friend, be needy as hell and not do a whole lot of shat for you in return.... I'd rather have a good friend, and my new good friend is Effecta!

And Brian is phenomenal!! Most helpful and informed, and not just about Effecta, he's done the research on the whole lot... He knows his stuff, and man he does what it takes to get the job done!!! A++ my whole experience has been amazing, I'm sure yours will be too.

Is the effecta able to switch from wood to pellets or does it need to pellets only?

Will

The way I understand it, as I havent recieved equipment yet is the pellet gun us mounted on the side. The bracket is hinged allowing you to swing it out of place and add a metal plate. This allows you to use wood with out damageing the pellet gun.

This was very apealing to me.

It only take about 25 minutes to switch from one to the other.

I will be posting pictures of my install and will also show the change from one to the other.

Regards,

Gene.EJ said:
Fantastic NP!!!! That's great to hear! Just got mine up and running a couple nights ago and holy s#*% my house is warm! Ha I was stoked before, but now it's in and running I'm completely super stoked, tired of the gas man stealing my money, and tired of pissing around w wood stoves... Effecta Lambda 35kw makes it almost too EASY.

The wrong kind of system can do you like a bad friend, be needy as hell and not do a whole lot of shat for you in return.... I'd rather have a good friend, and my new good friend is Effecta!

And Brian is phenomenal!! Most helpful and informed, and not just about Effecta, he's done the research on the whole lot... He knows his stuff, and man he does what it takes to get the job done!!! A++ my whole experience has been amazing, I'm sure yours will be too.

Glad to hear things are going well. We will be heating about the same sqftg. My house and garage equal 4800 sq ft.
I almost went with the 60kw but decided it was better to burn hard and hot for the entire burn and have somewhere to go with the energy.
I will use the 60kw for my other side of the property. I should have no problem storing the enrgy in 2K worth of storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.