Just ordered Chimney Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwloco

Jan 17, 2008
Asheville NC
In preparation for setting up my circa 1984 Vermont Castings Intrepid in the garage, I just bought chimney pipe.

I tried to buy local, but no one at Lowes or Home Depot had it, nor the hardware stores. One shop, selling VC and Jotul, were way, way out of line price wise,
so I bought online.

I got HeatFab 22 gauge. Plans are, later, to put on a Magic Heater heat exchanger to help disperse the heat a bit and not let it escape up the chimney.

Free shipping on the order. I saved about $150 over the local stove shop. I like to buy local, but not pay double.

Good luck with that Magic Heat creosote creator on that single wall.
Make sure you fire ins. is up to date.

Creosote problem with the Magic Heats? Interesting.

I see they also sell some stuff you "sprinkle onto your flame..." to minimize creosote build up.

I haven't purchased it yet, happily.

Anyone have any experiences with them, plus or minus?

This has been covered several times. Search on Magic Heat for pros and cons.

Robbing heat from the flue was sometimes appropriate with pre-EPA stoves, that sent a lot of heat up the stack. However, if the Intrepid is doing it's job and pulling out a lot of heat with the cat, then the flue gases could be exiting at around 300-400 degrees. Add a cold garage (illegal installation) and by the time the flue gases exit the magic heat, they can be well below the condensation point that creates creosote (250F).

Not illegal in NC.

I've searched the forum. Looks like pluses and minuses for Magic Heat. For now, I'll just go with the stove.

Not only will I never install a MH or anything like it, but I'm seriously considering swapping out all my single wall for double wall...all in the name of overall stove/flue system health. I've taken some vertically separated temperature measurements, and I don't really like how much heat loss there is from my flue system prior to the transition to Class A. I'm convinced it's contributing to more creosote build-up than I need to experience. Rick

I've been burning seasoned oak, locust and regrettably, dogwood (when contractors push it down, I'll burn it, but never, ever cut it) in my Reslute II for three years.

Checking each summer, I don't see much creosote build up at all. Next year I'm going to scrub it all the same, just for peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.