Just Ordered My Propane

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting to see how vastly different the pricing of propane is in the same general area. I use Palmer Gas (out of Southern, NH), and get the benefit of getting "neighborhood pricing", so even though I've used almost no propane over the past two years, I get the same price that all the other houses in my neighborhood gets, as when the neighborhood was built 10 years ago, Palmer put all the tanks in. If I was being quoted $3.00+ per gallon, I'd be back to burning pellets. In the interim, my back in thankful for a Winter off! I was offered a pre-buy at $2.00 per gallon for my propane over the Winter, but opted not to lock in at this point, as I just paid $1.55 yesterday.

John

They delivered the propane yesterday and the slip says $3.22/gal. which is lower than my pre-buy or lock in price would have been if I had opted to do so in July. I'm just thankful they haven't decided to charge me rent for the tank since I buy so little propane from them now. They did that at another house that we just had two 40 lb tanks for the cook stove. after 10 years they decided we didn't use enough so needed to pay $25/quarter. That didn't last long as those size tanks are cheap enough and easy enough to set up yourself.

I was just quoted 3.299 per gallon in at Sandri in Greenfield, Mass. That's for usage of under 99 gallons. Pretty amazing that people in Mass. are getting it for 1.55 per gallon. Something stinks.

I know when I was looking for price comparisons a couple of years ago, every dealer (large or small) asked how much usage before they would give me a price per gallon. The less usage, they higher the price, even if they deliver right next door the same day.

Wow you guys on the east coast really get hit bad on pricing. I installed a 1000 gal underground tank this summer and filled it to 85% for $0.94/gal (I bought my tank). My father got his filled at $0.79/gal. It pays to call around for pricing, and that's where owning your tank is the key. I'm pretty sure I can't beat either price with the Harman, even getting Somersets at $200/ton locally. But we have 2 tons in the basement anyway and plan on using it quite a bit, but not exclusively.

I'm new to the house and pellet stove, so we wanted to bank a little extra heat this year in case it decides to be frigid. .

Zach
Fort Wayne, IN
2004 Harman 52i

OMG - they used to be better than Amer*gas, but I just called AG and ordered 150 gallons and they quoted me $3.22/gal (actually they quoted the price without a # of gallon restriction). Of course, I'll wait until I get the actual bill as the price could go up or they could charge me some sort of extra charge between now and then.

We're at $3.+/- a few cents a gallon here. We love the radiant heat but not the cost of propane. Around here if you use an inordinate amount of fuel the price per gallon becomes affordable, however your conspicuous consumption isn't affordable.

Reactions: bogieb
Wow you guys on the east coast really get hit bad on pricing. I installed a 1000 gal underground tank this summer and filled it to 85% for $0.94/gal (I bought my tank). My father got his filled at $0.79/gal. It pays to call around for pricing, and that's where owning your tank is the key. I'm pretty sure I can't beat either price with the Harman, even getting Somersets at $200/ton locally. But we have 2 tons in the basement anyway and plan on using it quite a bit, but not exclusively.

I'm new to the house and pellet stove, so we wanted to bank a little extra heat this year in case it decides to be frigid. .

Zach
Fort Wayne, IN
2004 Harman 52i

IN has a pipeline that brings in a lot of your propane - and even when it is by truck, they don't have to go far to get to you. We don't have pipelines, and it has to be trucked / railed in from about where you get yours (we get some from Canada too, but tough winters halt the trains and trucks from there, as we found out 2 years ago). Add to that the NIMBY's don't want the few storage facilities we have to expand, and that is how prices get jumped up.

The cost of obtaining a tank and having it hauled here is prohibitive - and then you have to have it plumbed in and tested (per town/state code). Found it would cost me about $3k to get a 500 gal tank set up. Decided it would take over 10 years to get payback from fuel costs (if I was lucky). And then the tanks have to be inspected/tested every 12 years per town/state regs. Additionally, I will have to change out my boiler in the next couple of years (it is >20 years old), and probably hot water heater too, so may switch out type of fuel I use altogether.

I'm happier than heck with pellets - added bonus is now I can keep my basement warm too (other heating system isn't set up for it).

I am getting my propane tank filled this week. I also ordered my normal stash for the winter of pellets. We like the warmer heat and ambiance of our stove. We would miss it if were not burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.