Just ordered new Alderlea T5!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ccmac

Burning Hunk
Jan 1, 2014
Indiana
Well I am pretty excited! My wife and I ordered two new Pacific Energy T5's. One for my Pastor's home (Mojolica) and one for our home (antique white).

Last season we burned in the Summit Classic in our basement and the fireplace (see sig) on our main floor great room. We built this house 2 yrs ago and had it spray foamed. The insulation is great but the house is so tight we could not burn without outside air routed to each burner. I actually had the foresight to have my mason place a steel pipe in the firebox (outside air intake) when he made the fireplace and good thing I did cause it would never burn without it. even with the outside air (4 inch pipe) we found that the fireplace could create a negative draft in the woodstove if we had a strong fire in the fireplace and allowed the stove to just have some hot coals. Also we often had to crack a window to permit the fireplace to fire up and warm the flue.

I believe the outside air intakes for each of the stoves should be sufficient to supply the air required to prevent any more issues and I look forward to more efficient burning. We loved the Summit so much it was easy to stay with PE brand. The Alderlea stove will sit approximately 2/3 into the firebox. So I will lose some heat to all the masonry around it but hopefully it'll radiate that back into the room. I will be working on a block off plate this week. I have ordered a heavy flex stainless liner (304L) with chimney cap, insulation, and all. Hate to cut out my damper but realistically....I'll never look back. Also have an almost new 3/4 inch solid steel fireback and a "Grate wall of Fire" grate that I have no need for either:(.

Really excited for the new Alderlea T5!!! It's going in the great room which is approx 700 sq ft and several other smaller rooms open into the great room. 10 ft ceilings in every room. Comments, tips, experiences, advice, is welcome.

Reactions: webfish
Excellent choice. High quality, very robust stove. BG should be in to give you his valuable knowledge of his Alderlea T6. Good luck with them..

You're going to love that stove! Congratulations! Sounds like you've got a perfect house layout too.

Sweet, the T5 should look great there. Please post a picture when installed.

Did you order it with the blower?

Yes I will install it and post a pic. No blower as I am not a fan of them (no pun intended) Haha! Hopeful that I'll have plenty convective heat from the stove despite being in the firebox. The fireplace opening is 46 inches and narrows to 26 inches at the back, and is 31 inches high at the lintel. So I believe I'll get plenty on heat coming off the stove and the masonry will emit the heat overtime as well.

Can't wait to see I just installed my summit insert today. I have never used a pacific energy stove or insert before but they seem to have very happy customers. I have a similar setup as you stove in the basement an a insert upstairs on the first floor. I know last winter you just had the fireplace upstairs but how was heating? This is a new house for us any pointers would be helpful thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.