Just Paid 10 Bucks for an O-Ring - Other Sources?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I just paid 10 bucks for an o-ring for a Robin EX27 engine's carburetor bowl that was leaking. The original leaked, and the one I got from the hardware store eventually leaked and I couldn't seem to match the size up again. Anyway, I ordered the OEM part on line, and not only is it expensive, it's gonna take 2 weeks to get here! Local small engine place couldn't match it. Can anyone suggest good and cheap on-line parts places? I might stop by at another hardware place-it's a tad less than 2".

I just paid 10 bucks for an o-ring for a Robin EX27 engine's carburetor bowl that was leaking. The original leaked, and the one I got from the hardware store eventually leaked and I couldn't seem to match the size up again. Anyway, I ordered the OEM part on line, and not only is it expensive, it's gonna take 2 weeks to get here! Local small engine place couldn't match it. Can anyone suggest good and cheap on-line parts places? I might stop by at another hardware place-it's a tad less than 2".
Expensive lil devil eh?

http://robinamerica.com/media/manuals/129488352081952500.pdf

Ray

Have you tried a place like McMaster Carr or Grainger? They seem to have everything like that.

These guys are local to me . I buy alot of hydraulic stuff there. If they don't have it no one will. Every time I get o rings they throw in a spare no charge.
http://www.alxander.com/HTML/branch.html

It would probably cost a million dollars to build an engine from spare parts!
Had to replace a bowl gasket on my 7-1/2 HP Tecumseh and it cost around $6.00..

At the papermill I worked at they had various assortment kits of O-rings they bought from industrial distributors. If they couldn't find one close the had a kit to make them, it consisted of various spools of o-ring cord and a small splice block. Basically cut the ring to length and glue it together with a specialized superglue.

Would liquid gasket seal the bowl on? I think I'd at least try a tube of Permatex from the local auto parts store before buying another gasket.

I positioned the hardware store version more carefully and it doesn't appear to leak now.

If it doesn't seal...

rtv_corners.jpg

If you think that o-ring is bad, you should see what we go through with OEM parts for snow plows and de-icer spreaders. How about a spinner motor made by fasco with a western label on it at $330+, same unit on the net at about $160. Which generally means that the real mfg of the motor ( fasco) to produce might be around $80 ( likely less).

In ref to O rings......a few years ago I needed O ring for power steering reservoir on my '59 Plymouth. Auto parts store didn't have it. The guy suggested I take old O ring to plumbing store. I did, they matched it up, cost me $1, and it hasn't leaked so far now for 12 years. I think it was probably about a 4" O ring.

Reactions: n6crv and raybonz
I google the OEM part number to find the online parts stores with the cheapest price. If you can measure the dimensionsnetc. , you can match the o rings on Mcmaster Carr. If you buy them made out of Viton , they will resist any chemical ,oil and especially ethanol.

Pit Stops have non ethanol gas. The only one I've seen that doesn't is the one next to Lebanon Valley. I wouldn't mention that except it might be the closest one to you. I use it for all of my small engines The extra 3% energy in it makes the difference in an underpowered snow blower at 4am or a chainsaw buried in a cut.

I just checked the list of Ethanol free gas stations in NY. It looks like the closest ones to you are Wynantskill, Troy and Cropseyville.

http://pure-gas.org/?stateprov=NY

Thanks for the tip. My wife was looking up Pit Stop stations that sold ethanol-free gas on the way home from Christmas visiting last night and she came up with one in Wynantskill, which is pretty close. I've been keeping it out of my little engines when storing them, as a rule; out of the engine but still in my little genny's tank. I might give that a pull today.

If it doesn't seal...

rtv_corners.jpg

Never use silicone on fuel, Gas WILL dissolve it and send it through the fuel system making a MAJOR mess of the system. If you think you have problems now...

Thanks for the tip. My wife was looking up Pit Stop stations that sold ethanol-free gas on the way home from Christmas visiting last night and she came up with one in Wynantskill, which is pretty close. I've been keeping it out of my little engines when storing them, as a rule; out of the engine but still in my little genny's tank. I might give that a pull today.
hey velvetfoot, there is another pit stop out on 20 heading from Lebanon to Nassau, before you get to Lebanon valley speedway. don't know if they sell ethanol free but its a shot. also, there is a small engine repair shop out 66, just past Methodist farm road at the end of crooked lake, on the left don't know if they might have the part or be able to help if it happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.