Just picked up a Craigslist Vermont Castings Intrepid Pre Catalytic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Joey_C

Jul 26, 2016
Massachusetts
The nice woman included many extras in the purchase including a new ax, a porcelain coated cast iron water thingie for on top of the stove, lots of utensils, some fire bricks, 2/3 a cord of seasoned wood and a wood storage rack system.

What seemed to be missing is one of the porcelain handles and it could stand a fresh coat of paint. Since I consider it to have been a nice deal I'm thinking about asking our local hearth sales guy/installer if he replaces the gaskets and paints them.
Is that something these dealers usually do?

Also does Vermont Castings sell those replacement handles? Thanks for any info in advance!

Reactions: perfoliate
The nice woman included many extras in the purchase including a new ax, a porcelain coated cast iron water thingie for on top of the stove, lots of utensils, some fire bricks, 2/3 a cord of seasoned wood and a wood storage rack system.

What seemed to be missing is one of the porcelain handles and it could stand a fresh coat of paint. Since I consider it to have been a nice deal I'm thinking about asking our local hearth sales guy/installer if he replaces the gaskets and paints them.

Also does Vermont Castings sell those replacement handles? Thanks for any info in advance!
Need proof of the score please. We like pictures around here. :)

image16.jpe
image14.png

Here's the ad and it loaded up in the back of the pickup . The tools are in the back seat

I wrapped it in stretch wrap for the ride back home. Brought it right in to our local dealer and he's going to give her a little tune up although he says it's in really good shape as it is. The top has a little discoloration as you can see from the pictures but other than that I guess there is one ceramic handle that is used to go back and forth instead of one on the front door and one on the side. Also on the top feeder there should be a knob to open it and it has been cracked so that top plate may need to be replaced if it bothers me.

Here's some pics-
20160729_090841-01_thumb.jpg 20160729_090852-01_thumb.jpg 20160729_090936-01_thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good find. That should clean up quickly and nicely.

I got one, just rebuilt it last year. If you have any questions about it, I may have answers.

No, I have enough air coming in. In fact my only issue is that I have it installed in my basement. Having a gas water heater and furnace, this causes a negative pressure situation down there. When the stove is not being used the creosote smell is strong, the path of least resistance is the chimney through the stove.

Here She Is Refurbished-New Gaskets, Paint, Firebrick, and Replaced The Griddle Top Which Had a Broken Handle.

Attachments

• vermontcastingsintrepid.jpg
    vermontcastingsintrepid.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 740
  • vermontcastingsintrepid2.jpg
    vermontcastingsintrepid2.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 752
  • vermontcastingsintrepid3.jpg
    vermontcastingsintrepid3.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 686
The griddle gasket does not look right. For the Intrepid I, it is supposed to be a wire mesh gasket. I noticed something was off on the last pick where the griddle was higher than the stove. I switched to the open lid and it looks like you have 5/8 rope.

Look up Vermont Castings model 1302 gasket kit. The wire mesh gasket is included in the kit.

http://rockymountainstove.com/gasketkit0003440.aspx\

They did a great job cleaning it up. I cracked a fire brick during my tear down and rebuild. Did they take apart the stove and re cement everything too?

Got a killer deal craigslist but have no info on stove. 1983 stamped on inside? Have completely apart and redone but need guidance on putting back together.

Attachments

• 20170912_115637.jpg
    20170912_115637.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 362
Last edited by a moderator: