Just picked up new Generac Xi 2000 Inverter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny1720

Burning Hunk
Mar 6, 2007
The Great North East
So I finally pulled the trigger on a small inverter generator. I ordered it from Home Depot on Monday and I picked it up this morning. I put the oil they provided into the unit. Then I put in some gas, left the off
Switch off and rolled it over a dozen times. Turned it on and it started the first pull.

I hooked up the glowboy insert and turned it on. I also plugged in a 1500 watt electric heater. The little inverter snorted a little but it handled it just fine. I put about 2 hours of use on it at various loads.

These are the reasons I went with this unit.

-all I want to be able to do is stay in my home during a power outage.

-I could not justify spending any more money on something that will probably only get used a few times a year.

-I read many reviews about this unit and there was one that kept sticking out. This guy apparently had a bad experience with this unit and put negative reviews everywhere. Funny part was that Generac sent him a new unit and let him keep his old one. And he went back and updated a few of his negative comments but not every one.

-some reviews stated it was hard to start after it had been running for a while. And many of them said they figured out that you had to turn off the economy mode to get it to restart.

I have experience with honda inverters and they are quieter and probably more efficient. I have access to one so I might do a side by side comparison when the weather breaks.

I bought the Ryobi 2000 watt gen set they sell at HD for $550. It is a pretty good little unit also. I ran 1500 watt heaters also, but when I tried a 2400 watt PVC heater it tripped on overload, as it should, I just had to try it, lol. Just thought I would post about my gen experience...

Reactions: johnny1720
Congrats on the Generac Inverter genny...I looked hard at those, Ryobi, Powerhouse, Briggs, ... Ended up with the Champion..Hope it works well for you,, Be sure to keep stabilizer and fresh fuel in the gas tank..

Excellent buy, all for the side by side test, have been looking at that 1 for double duty on my boat and at home in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.