Just placed my 2010 wood order

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepinto65

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2008
Webster, MA
Having 8 cords of log length (mixed hardwood) delivered Saturday to my dads house. We are splitting the cost/load so at $600 per truck load i'm walking away with 4 cords for $75 a cord. I'll throw some pics up when I start processing it. How are prices looking for everyone else this season?

mikepinto65 said:
Having 8 cords of log length (mixed hardwood) delivered Saturday to my dads house. We are splitting the cost/load so at $600 per truck load i'm walking away with 4 cords for $75 a cord. I'll throw some pics up when I start processing it. How are prices looking for everyone else this season?

pics will be cool and 150.00 cord here

I got a load of log-length dropped of a few weeks ago for the 2010-2011 season (possibly the 2011-2012 depending on how much I burn this winter ;-) ) for $750 which looks to be about 7.5-8 cords now that I have most of it cut and split, which puts me at about $100/cord for that load.

So far it's the cheapest log-length load I've found in Central MA (near Worcester.)

newstove said:
I got a load of log-length dropped of a few weeks ago for the 2010-2011 season (possibly the 2011-2012 depending on how much I burn this winter ;-) ) for $750 which looks to be about 7.5-8 cords now that I have most of it cut and split, which puts me at about $100/cord for that load.

So far it's the cheapest log-length load I've found in Central MA (near Worcester.)

My dad lives in CT and has been using the same guy for years....I think hes from the Stafford Springs area.

I had these 4 cords for 2010 cut/split and delivered in June for $130 per cord.

Attachments

• 2010-2011 supply.JPG
    2010-2011 supply.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 608
smokinjay said:
mikepinto65 said:

pics will be cool and 150.00 cord

sounds like Dad gets the other 4 cords at 75 ea

That's a great price. Paid $175 a cord green c/s/d - seems to be the lowest around here.

Tony H said:
smokinjay said:
mikepinto65 said:

=
8 cords $600 total. 600/8= 75. 4x2=8 150x8=1200. and yes E=mc squared good deal

J-Man said:
That's a great price. Paid $175 a cord green c/s/d - seems to be the lowest around here.
LOL

Every year someone wants to compare price and then the apples-to-oranges comparisons of different product from different states start coming in. Up here in the Canadas, I paid $100 CDN but I won't say if it was C/S/D or a face cord. %-P

Anyway... $75 a cord even with how weak the US dollar is now, I think is a good price. C/S/D would be even better.

LLigetfa said:
J-Man said:
LOL

Every year someone wants to compare price and then the apples-to-oranges comparisons of different product from different states start coming in. Up here in the Canadas, I paid $100 CDN but I won't say if it was C/S/D or a face cord. %-P

Anyway... $75 a cord even with how weak the US dollar is now, I think is a good price. C/S/D would be even better.

Lol weak $ or not its $75, besides i hear Canadian wood smells bad :lol:

Tony H said:
smokinjay said:
mikepinto65 said:

Thats the way it works, I dont have enough room on my property to store it for next year so he generously loans me a portion of his 8 acres.

Weak US$ only matters when you shop at ChinaMart. The US is our biggest customer and the strong CDN$ is hurting us so I'm not doing much shopping at ChinaMart these days.

You wouldn't want to import the bad smelling wood anyway when you have higher BTU stuff close to home.

Mike... good price, you will earn your keep bucking that....post some pics when delivered.

WoodButcher

Blood. sweat and tears.

Here are pics of a portion of todays work......its actually not my wood, I decided to help my grandfather with his load but I will post mine when I start on it! We got about 3 cords of 8 cut and split today. (sorry for the lameness of the pics, i wanted to get a better shot with my cell phone but every time i stopped working to find a good angle my grandfather would give me hell!!)

Attachments

• grand2.jpg
    grand2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 301
  • grand3.jpg
    grand3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 287
  • grand1.jpg
    grand1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 307
The red oak I bucked out this after noon cost me a skinned knuckle, saw gas and tractor gas to drive the 100 feet over to it from the house.

But I really envy you log load guys that don't have to lug this stuff up out of the woods. "Hey buddy. Just drop'em over there by the splitter."

Damn that would be nice.

BrotherBart said:
The red oak I bucked out this after noon cost me a skinned knuckle, saw gas and tractor gas to drive the 100 feet over to it from the house.

But I really envy you log load guys that don't have to lug this stuff up out of the woods. "Hey buddy. Just drop'em over there by the splitter."

Damn that would be nice.

Funny I really envy you guys who do 100% processing.....if I had a lot of time, land, and equipment i'd love to do it that way. I really enjoy everything about the wood burning experience and honestly would find it that much more "relaxing/satisfying" (for lack of better words) to harvest my own wood.

BrotherBart said:

Damn that would be nice.
If I had Oak or Ash on my land instead of Aspen and Poplar, I wouldn't mind going out back for it. The $2400 I shelled out the last two years I'd rather put toward a FEL.

What I really envy are the guys that can buy C/S/D firewood for around the same as I pay for logs.

"Hey buddy. Just stack'em over there in the woodshed."

Damn that would be nice.

mikepinto65 said:
LLigetfa said:
J-Man said:
LOL

Lol weak $ or not its $75, besides i hear Canadian wood smells bad :lol:

Sure the wood might not be as good, but the beer is better! :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:

Damn that would be nice.

Seems we all have something to be envious about - I may have gotten a load of logs delivered, but my splitter is ultra-portable. The working part weighs in at 4 1/2 lbs and the engine is a general-purpose model that has to run the saws, carry rounds, and drive the splitter so there is no "drop'em over there by the splitter" - the splitter stands well clear of the logs when they get dropped! :)

Someday I may be able to justify upgrading.. hope the wife doesn't upgrade first! ha!

This is a pic of my 2009-2010 wood dropped last winter ready for burning this winter... It worked out to 16.5 cords of wood @$75 per cord. It was a Sthil 330 vs Husky 460. Needless to say this year I now own a Husky 375XP =P

Attachments

• wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 162
  • wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 148
Status
Not open for further replies.